Best wood for squire to sound like real jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shushi_boi, Nov 2, 2012.

1. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

I have a squire jazz bass and I've made it my project to make it sound like a real fender jazz bass, I was curious what top end quality wood does an actual jazz bass use? Because I want to replace the cheap wood type my squire has and I know from reading that squires are made from cheaper woods and real fender jazz bass from top end quality wood, but I don't know what they are. My personal preference is maple from it's sound and I like it's surface. :help: What is the best combination for wood types for my body and neck, any ideas? like should my body be rosewood, plywood, ebony, etc. with the combination of my neck being pine, oak, maple, etc. in order to make it closest to sound like a $1,800 fender jazz bass (pretty expensive, huh? ;) )Thank you ! :D

2. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Wood.

On a more serious note I think they use the same woods for both but what changes is the amount of pieces that are used to make the body.

I think it's more a question of electronics than anything else

3. Duckwater

Duckwater

As long as you have decent pickups in the right positions, it will sound like a Jazz bass.

4. -=DanAtkinson=-

-=DanAtkinson=-

Wood species doesn't matter nearly as much as the marketing would lead you to believe. But if you're going for the classic Fender combo, you want Alder body with Maple neck, and either a Rosewood or Maple fretboard.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Btw about this wood matter debate that rages on.

Plywood electric instruments sound and feel like ****.

7. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

sushi_boi why is your address in your location. Yuma, AZ would be more than enough.

8. shushi_boi

shushi_boi

Sorry, ima fix that :)

9. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Blindfold yourself, then go to someplace like a music store and play as many basses as you can without looking at them. When you've decided what sounds the best, then take off the blindfold. Switch the wood in your bass to whatever that is, or keep it as is if its the same.

Alternatively, just play what you have and spend the money you'd use to "upgrade" on lessons. I can't imagine anyone doubting that you'd make more progress with sounding better that way.

10. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

If you're going to replace the wood, why not just buy a "real" Fender Jazz???

11. capnjagg

capnjagg

Don't take his advice. It's plain dangerous and stupid. Instead, go to a music store, bring a friend to help you out, sit down in the bass section, then blindfold yourself, and have your friend hand you some basses to try out. Follow the rest of his advice from there. :D :bag:

12. JACink

JACink

:D:D:D

But on a serious note, how can you change the wood of your squier?? I mean, won't you end up with a "custom" bass with Squier electronics and hardware??

If you really want to change things, start with pickups (as stated) and electronics, and move on from there. But if you get to a point where you are thinking of changing the wood, you need a new bass!!

13. Dubista

Dubista

What's a Squire?

14. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Someone who helps a Lord change his small clothes.

15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

The kind that comes from dead tree.

16. meatwad

meatwad

It cracks me up to see -

"This is my MIM Squire Jazz bought new. I've upgraded it with a MIJ P-bass neck and an Allparts PJ Body. New bridge, Schaller tuners and EMGs from eBay, made the pickguard from a cereal box.

But yeah, my MIM Squire Jazz is a USA Fender KILLAH!! Playz lyke BUTTAH!!"

17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

You've nevre heard of a Fendre Squire?

18. Batmensch

Batmensch

If you can ignore the snarky comments for a bit, you will notice that what they are all really trying to tell you is that, in the long run, your Squier will sound like a "real" Jazz bass no matter what wood it's made of. AAMOF, it will sound just like the real thing even if you leave it completely stock. Don't fall into the "A Squier needs to be modded to sound like the real thing" trap. If someone could provide a proper link please, Ed Friedland has a YouTube video comparing Squier Classic Vibe basses to their Fender equivalents, and you will find they stack up quite well, as far as sounding like the "real" thing.
    in other words, don't waste your time and money.

19. backup

backup

hahaha

well no need to change wood just change the pickups and hardware. and youre set

or just buy a new bass ive seen used MIM classic 60's fender for 400-500

20. Batmensch

Batmensch

And I maintain, you don't even need to do that, either.

21. JACink

JACink

Is this the video you are referring to?