1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Beta 10a spec. question.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by trainsarewonder, Dec 30, 2013.

1. trainsarewonder

trainsarewonder

I've been playing an Orange OBC 410 for quite some time. I've noticed, however, it's way too heavy. IMO a 410 shouldn't weigh that much, it is overbuilt for a light gigger.

I'm looking to build my own cab with my father who used to build PA systems. I'm thinking of going with the Beta 10a, that's what the Orange uses.

A friend of mine who really knows his stuff, but is horrible at explaining told me to stay away from the Beta's because the 'xmax" is only 3mm. Not sure what this means.

He's the kind of guy who's right 90% of the time, but 10% of the time, he's dead wrong.

Can someone explain what this means and if the Beta 10a will be a good driver to build a box around.

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

There are worse and there are better.

If you look up hurtful you'll find some diy 2x beta12 cabs, might be a better bet.

Build vertical 2x cabs and stack tall for monitoring and room dispersion.

3. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

If you really like the tone and spl/power handling capability of the Orange OBC410, but find it too heavy why not replicate it: dimensions, internal volume, stuffing, porting (if any), drivers and wiring, but using modern, low weight construction techniques and materials. You should be able to cut the weight by about 40%. Search here for some DIY builds in this forum. There are plenty of pictures and accompanying discussion. Show the pics to your father. He will quickly pick up on what this is all about.

The 3 mm Xmax is not overly generous, but many cabs have been build with those (or similar) drivers, and a lot of good music has been played through them. If the OBC410 has been working well for you then these drivers (Beta 10A) will do just fine in the new cabinet.

If you want to build a new, better cab, choose from the DIY projects you found here. For sure, it is easier to build a louder cab, but it is usually much more challenging to build one with the tone you prefer.

4. trainsarewonder

trainsarewonder

He totally gets the building techniques, that's why I want to go with the build.

I'm just trying to think if there might be a better driver out there for my needs?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Depends on your 'needs' and budget. What are you looking to improve? Louder? Deeper bass? Tighter bass? More mids?

There are better 10-inch drivers, but since you are building from scratch you could also consider other design formats: 2x12, 2x15, 15/6?

For 10's I would consider the Eminence Deltalite II 2510. For optimum performance, the cab would likely have to be tuned differently.