1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Better approach sans PA?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rcgtrix, Jan 1, 2013.

1. rcgtrix

rcgtrix

Anyone ever run an Acoustic 360 with an Ampeg SVT for stage and hall impact?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    It doesn't get too loud close up but out in the hall a 360 works fine. I have seen a bassist use 4 of them to great effect!

3. chadds

chadds

I did use a 4x12" cab with my 360.
    You do need the up close effect otherwise it's too loud out front when you crank it to hear it onstage.

4. Lync

Lync

I'd rather use a huge backline anyday. Thing is, I don't think the singers/rest of the band would be too happy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rcgtrix

rcgtrix

Right. I used to use two 360s and was constantly told to turn down. I was hoping to find a balance that could satisfy my OCD.

7. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

I only use one 360 and have never had any issues being heard.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

You would want the 301 cab.

9. rcgtrix

rcgtrix

That's my point. It has a thunderous expanding output that is difficult to hear on stage but fills a big space with plenty of volume. And I looking for more than just a monitor. I'm just trying to cover it all with no PA support.

10. rcgtrix

rcgtrix

I used to have the 371 as well. It just never did it for me, though I've heard many that sounded excellent.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've done stage volume gigs with an SVT before. Rules. We keep volumes onstage fairly reasonable these days and almost always have PA for instruments (but not always), I've done gigs where I thought I wasn't that loud and they ended up pulling me out of the PA anyway. Sounded fine to me when I got out in the crowd. Some soundmen hate it when you play too loud to put you in the PA, and I've had that happen even when the stage volumes are reasonable. But if it sounds good in the house and isn't blowing the rest of the band out, who cares?

12. rcgtrix

rcgtrix

+1. Did it work for you? A good way to go with no PA?

13. rcgtrix

rcgtrix

I hear you. But, imagine a group, maybe with no vocals, but very loud with no PA.

14. chadds

chadds

Well no. The cab I used was too hifi even at the time. I should have used a Marshall guitar cab of the era. Truth be told this why the SVT came along. It could do onstage and off. It was present and punchy.

There are so many better choices now. But if you already own one get something that can do the mids and highs and sound rich. Problem could be that once you hear the mids and highs the Acoustic is doing you may lose the warmth that that folded horn amp and pre did together. Mine sounded very old school SS which isn't so great. What I'm saying is the 360 was warm. Adding a cab to the crossed over output was not warm.

Now maybe a 12" Bag End would be a great choice.

My friend used the 371 with both an SVT cab and the folded horn Acoustic cab with a Rick. So loud.