Beyma 15g350 in a fullrange cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JazzMarius, Mar 22, 2014.

1. JazzMarius

JazzMarius

Finally i bought the Beyma 15G300!see below (changed the title too, so i don't know why it doesn't show)

2. oerk

oerk

Doesn't look too bad. Don't expect much highs from it, it begins to roll off after 3kHz.

Qts is low, probably best suited for a sealed cab. I'll model one for you if you want.
  3. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

I would want a little more X max! Take a look at the Faital 15pr400 A great stand alone speaker!
    I just built a cab with one 24x20x15 tuned to 44hz it sounds amazing!
  4. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

^ 4.5 mm xmax is actually pretty good, the eminence Beta 15a has only 4 mm, and I've read that it and the delta 15 make great replacements in the Ampeg B-15 cabinets.

I don't know much about beyma or their quality, but I have yet to hear of anybody finding Eminence to be inconsistent, take a look at the kappa 15 LF perhaps, that's not too expensive and looks like it has good low-end for cheap.

Either way, like oerk, I wouldn't expect mugh highs from it. anyways, some really quick work on WinISD says it seems to have a flat response with 75 litres and a tuning of 49.76 hz, in a ported enclosure, with a -3 db point of about 60 hz, and -10 of about 41 hz, looks like it'd handle a low-b pretty well, not sure how loud it'd go and its power limitations, but a midrange driver would help with that.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Nice woofer.

If we estimate x-max as voice coil overhang + 15% (a reasonable approach), we come up with a little less than 5.2 mm, which is pretty darn good. In fact, if we calculate the x-max of the well-respected Faital 15PR400 the same way, it's considerably less (though I suspect Faital uses a motor geometry that staves off fartout better than most).

The target I tend to shoot for is the first overtone of low-B, or 62 Hz. This woofer should get you there in 80 liters (that volume includes woofer and ports) tuned to about 48 Hz by two ports, each 4" in diameter by about 6.5" long. This is close enough to pie man 25's recommendation to be essentially an endorsement of what he said (I'm using a different program).

I have a very high opinion of Beyma drivers. For many years the only compression driver I used in my high-end home audio speakers was the Beyma CP-385Nd, selected after buying & trying many candidates.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're minus 6dB at 50 Hz and minus 10 dB at 40 Hz. Dunno how it would be down low.
  8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

The Beyma compression drivers I have owned and used are far, far better than what Eminence offers.
    Beyma's standard cone drivers are also used in many applications where Eminence has not had any equal off the shelf product to offer, at least until the last few years.
  9. JazzMarius

JazzMarius

Yes please!!!
  10. JazzMarius

JazzMarius

So, are you saying it will not be ideal for my 5er?
    But, will it be better than what the market has to offer at about, let's say 300$? (i mean, the whole cab)

I can get this driver at under 100$.

can't find ANY eminence in that range, so forget the Faital.
  11. JazzMarius

JazzMarius

Thank you much for the input!
    I believe Beyma are made here in Spain (valencia) and are top quality but easyer for me to get because the lack of import service.

The design you described is pretty easy to achieve so i guess it's what i'll try to do.
    How will it respond to a 5er? I must say i pretty much hate tweeters (never tried a tweeter i liked). I like natural highs of one driver alone (i so loved my TE 1518, the new one rated 500W and tuned to 36Hz (?) )
  12. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

From my experience, minus 6dB at 50 Hz and minus 10 dB at 40 Hz works fine for a five string. A number of well-respected cabs (Genz Benz Uber series, Berg CN212, etc) have similar points. It seems to provide a good balance of depth and punch. If you take Duke's suggestion and build your cab with the tuning pie_man gave you, it should work well and sound good. I bet you'll like it.
  13. JazzMarius

JazzMarius

My bass is an hardcore modified Squier 5 (precision special V with Sadowsky Hum Canceling Jazz pups and CTS/Orange drop harness, hipshot tuners etc) running through a Sadowsky DI pre and a cheap but good 300w head (harley benton b300ht).
  14. JazzMarius

JazzMarius

[​IMG]
    So, the seller says he has this speaker also for about 5 bucks less.it's this better?
  15. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

The frequency range higher on that driver with the same lows. Higher xmax too, it seems like a better deal to me. I'd stick it in WinISD but I'm working right now.
  16. JazzMarius

JazzMarius

I believe I'll buy this last one for one BioWeapon said. My goal soundwise is Smoth but Growl also.

Anymore input before I pull the trigger?
  17. oerk

oerk

[​IMG]

The 15G300 looks a bit better. It can go a bit lower in a bigger enclosure (see grey graph), but not by much.

The 15G350 has the flatter response, but the 15G300 goes a bit higher. The peaks at 2-3kHz can sound good for bass (I think "crisp" would be the word...).

I'd go with the 15G300.
  18. JazzMarius

JazzMarius

I bought the 15g300 finally.waiting for it to arrive!!! So excited!!!!
  19. JazzMarius

JazzMarius

Is that WinISD?
  20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    It should maintain good output down into the 60's, which will give you a good low B. The chart on the datasheet for the 80 liter box works out to 2.83 cubic feet, which is pretty darn compact for a 15. Xmax is good,topend is good. I call it a nice driver.
  21. oerk

oerk

Yep.