BFM Simplexx Series

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 4-stringB, Dec 8, 2013.

1. 4-stringB

4-stringB

I just found out about the BFM Simplexx series. Are they just Greenboy clones, or a unique approach? I can see some differences in the two lines (GB vs BFM). I'd be interested in the least expensive (but light) 110/210 version, from either line, as my GB 2x15sub rig is a bit too much at times

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Simplexx.html

2. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

this is completely news to me, I'm not too sure what BFM had in mind when he designed them, I doubt it would be his approach to a fEARful though, it doesn't look like a 15 sub+mid design that a fEARful is, so probably more of a unique approach. Methinks its his approach to a more conventional front-radiating non-horn cabinet, that might seem more approachable to first-time builders, as well as less "out there" than say the jack or DR or omnie series of drivers.

3. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I wonder what his 10" full range of choice is... No, seriously, I do.

4. Signs

Signs

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

The are just like Bill says on his site.
    Easy to build, plans written up by a designer who has for years produced plans for high efficiency complex designs, but with a lower Performance Quotient.
    Listed right on the page.
    "Simplexx"

"Clone" - No

7. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

my guess is either the beta 10a, or the deltalite 2010, both of them go into the jack 10, and that's sort of his standard model, I suppose.

8. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I looked at the charts... I see why he calls it the simplex line. There are no noticeable gaps, just more high mids and treble than anything else. Nothing against it... just I see how it's his budget/easy option.

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I, for one, can't believe Bill is actually saying ( with these plans ), that it's ok to have a tweeter with a 15 ? :eek: It seems like I remember him always saying a tweeter should not be paired with a 15. I. of course disagreed, as I like that rig, but wow, has Mr. Fitzmaurice gone 180 degrees, and actually advocating his own PORTED cabs , and not a baffled horn design ? WOW !

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

11. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I'm having a big chuckle over Bill doing reflex boxes...
    JASIAB but with corner vents.

[​IMG]

12. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I am not surprised at a 180 or reflex cabs. As long as the plans sell.........

13. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

JASIAB? Oh, I get it. "Just a speaker in a box."

Yeah, but, in fairness to Mr. Fitzmaurice, it's not like he's jumped ship completely. He still seems pretty up-front in advocating his more complex, horn-loaded designs over these (see his post in this thread) in terms of overall performance. He's just responding to consumer demand for something familiar and simple. They might be simple one/two-way "speakers in a box," but I imagine they're well-thought-out in terms of design, build (the plans/instructions one would buy) and component selection.

The startling efficiency of his horn-loaded cabs aside (I don't own any, but played through a stack of 10" Jacks next to my already very efficient, 4 Ohm 212 cab and it was unreal how little power it took to get them LOUD), he might be responding to the increasing availability of cheap watts in amps, as well.

14. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I owned the BFM authorized builder franchise for the Sacramento / NorCal area for a long time.
    Over that period of time, Bill's position on vented boxes was very clear and well stated.
    That is why I'm having a grand chuckle right now.

I don't think he has jumped ship at all, but is responding to the popularity of other JASIAB like the fEarful.
    Not everybody wants to build or haul bass horn(s).
    Mine live in a 5x10 trailer, and rarely see any action.
    BTW, if you have never played through one, they simply crush vented boxes.

All of Bill's designs are very well thought out.
    I call him the Leo Fender / Thomas Edison of our time for speaker cabs.
    Bill is a brilliant inventor and tireless marketer.

The new line simplifies vent fabrication by the simple but effective method of corner-cutting.
    This also makes the internal loading on the driver much more uniform to avoid cone rocking from uneven pressure.
    As with all of Bill's designs, I have no doubt this one is very well thought out and tested.

15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I'm digging the use of corner ports, coax's in the PA tops and the downfiring sub.

Simple boxes...yup. Well engineered....yup. Still need about 3 of them to be as loud as one of his horns. :D

Truth is, a lot of us in small bands really don't need the super high output of the horns, or the more complex setup it takes to make them really perform (more eq, dedicated limiters, etc.) We just need good sound that's affordable and easy to set up and make sound good quickly.

skin42 likes this.
  16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Drivers have gotten better over the years, and modeling with the driver manufacturer parameters is going to give you better results that drivers from the past.

17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Ampeg used a similar type of corner port in their 215 column cabs so they are in good company. There was a shelf between the two 15's that divided the cab into two chambers. I should add that this was a 215 flip top cab intended to be used with bass amps. The cab came with either a B15NC tube head or a transistorized amp like the one shown.

Here is one from 1967:

[​IMG]

mbelue likes this.
  18. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Anyone have a clue how old the folded horn concept is ;)

19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    As old as dirt? :)

Look at your vocal cords, larnyx, throat and mouth....then look at a speaker horn. :D

20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Not bad.

The lowly Vocalmaster PA columns also eventually evolved into todays line arrays.

Ya...I been thinking a bit lately about evening internal pressures and "chimney effect" cooling when it comes to port location.

21. bobcruz

bobcruz

The only problem I'd have with corner vents is that if you want a cloth grill, the frame would partly block the ports. I don't know if the BFM plans address that but I suppose there are ways around it (different mounting system for the cloth grill maybe).