BG250 115 vs BG250 210,,my live gigging hands on impressions/opinions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

So I had some time with the newer BG250 115 and the 210 version on a few live gigging situations with my fairly loud rock cover band.

The verdict (my opinion) not much of a difference between the two volume and tone wise and certainly not enough of a difference to justify the higher price of the 210 version over the 115 version.

As I recall Dr Pepper posted here he didn't hear that big of a difference either when comparing the two combos at home/studio,,, but he had not been able to compare the two combos in a gigging situation.

After using both to play out with I would agree with what Dr Pepper posted.

The 210 did sound a bit less bass'ier/boomy but the difference was really just splitting hairs.

As far as tone on both combos, not bad but I would still have to give it to GK as the tone kings.

The on board tuner was a 50/50 on getting tuned and the time it takes for the tuner to zero in.

Of course the Tone Prints are very cool and were very useful.

As far as volume I got buried with both combos playing with my loud'ish band,,,, on the gig I used the BG250 210 with I ending up using my GK MB210 for the second half of the night so I could hear myself better,,,, while I do think the BG210 goes a bit louder than the GK210 the GK just seems to cut thru the mix better (that GK tone can really be heard)

Anyhow, my conclusions,, if you're not in a really really loud band then either of the BG combos will do just fine in a live setting.

As far as overall tone,,, in my opinion and my taste,,, the GK MB combos are the clear winners.

I returned both the BG combos and am back to using a SVT410hlf cab with a GK amp/head pushing it,,,, I've come to the realization my band is just too loud and our venues to big to try and use a combo,,, no matter what brand of combo it is,,,,, with the exception of the GK MB212 series ll combo,,, the GK MB212 series ll blows away any other combo I have ever owned or demoed.

Cheers
    Davyo
  2. badboy1984

badboy1984

I own a TC BC212 cab and it sounded a bit booming in my opinion. I haven't tried it with another head but when using with my Ashdown LB30 it gives massive warmth and low end, I haven't try it on my Trace Elliot amp yet to see is it the cab, head or EQ that cause the boom.

In terms of GK, they are very loud amp in my opinion. I use to own a GK RB700 2x10 combo and that thing is massively loud on its own and the tone is very modern which works well in live situation in my opinion.