BG250 1x15 vs the 2x10 version ????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Davyo, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

I once owned the BG250 1x15 and was less than impressed with the tone so I returned it,,,, and I really wanted to like the little combo as I love the features (built-in tuner, the tone prints, the light weight).

For me, the tone from my GK MB combos blew away the tone of the BG250 1x15,, I really like that bright GK tone and to me the BG250 1x15 just sounded dull and boring compared to my GK MB210 and GK MB212.

Now the newer BG250 2x10 version has been out for a bit and I have wanting to demo one but no stores here in Vegas carry the 2x10 version, they only stock the 1x15.

So my question would be, for those of you that own/owned or have demoed both the 1x15 and the 2x10 what are the tonal and volume differences ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Davyo
  2. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

The 210 has tighter mids. What some hear as nasal/honkish (and some hear as an "open, vintage") sound in the flat EQ settings of the 115 isn't there, or is far less present, in the 210.

That's the primary difference IMO/E, having demoed the 210, side-by-side with the 115.

Depth, volume, etc. seem about the same.

Amp to amp, with no Toneprint or EQ shaping, I preferred the tone of the 210.

That said, I remember reading your harshly pejorative take on the BG250-115, and if that is as dull, boring, and so insulting to your ear that you've determined that the amp is utter garbage, I don't see how some relatively minor tonal differences are going to change that. It's the same amp cabinet; 2 10" instead of a 15"...
  3. Davyo

Cool,,, thanks for the feedback and the video,, both very helpful.

Yea,,, I was pretty disappointed with the tone of the BG250 1x15 I had purchased when it first got released, waited for months on a pre-order and had high hopes for it and loved everything about it except the overall tone just sucked (to my ears and taste).

I'm very much into that GK or Hartke tone,,, I guess I was hoping with the 2x10 configuration the BG250 might get closer to the Hartke/GK tone that I prefer and allow me to escape bringing and hooking up my pedal board to gigs.

Guess I'll just have to talk GK into building a MB combo with a built-in tuner and effects ;)

Thanks again.

Cheers
    Davyo
  4. Davyo

Ok,, an update,,,,, I got to demo a BG250 112 and the BG250 115 with my new Synapse bass.

The 112 sounded pretty darn good, better than the 115 in my opinion, and with being said the 115 sounded much better than my past experiences with it,,,, I'm thinking it was my Synapse bass that made the 115 sound better than I have ever hears one sound in the past.

So now I'm still wondering how the BG210 would sound compared to the 112 and 115 as I noticed a big tonal difference between the 112 and the 115,,, to my ears the BG250 112 sounded better than the 115 version.

My bottom low B sounded better with the 112 as well.

So now I'm wondering if the BG210 would handle my low B better than the 112 ?

Cheers
    Davyo
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Davyo

Thanks again for your feedback DrPepper,,,,,, just thought I would revise this thread question again to see if I could get some additional feedback on the BG250 1x15 vs the BG250 2x10.

I still have not been able to personally demo the BG250 2x10 since no stores in Las Vegas stock it.

Usage would be for small to med size rock gigs with my BEAD tuned bass's,,, and I do live on my low B quite a bit.

I did use the 1x15 at a live gig a few nights ago and was fairly happy with it, but it did sound a tad bit boomy/bassy,,,, nothing I couldn't dial out though,,,,, perhaps I'm just so used to using 10's more than 15's.

Anyhow, I'm just still wondering very much about 210 version and how it might compare in a live situation to the 115 version,,,, or from others that have been able to demo both of them side-by-side.

Thanks much in advance for any additional feedback from anyone else (including DrPepper).

Cheers
    Davyo
  7. drpepper

Sorry, Davyo, I can't add much of anything.

My experience was limited to comparisons made at my house. I didn't have any gigs (or even a rehearsal) to take the 210 to, during the short time I had it.

As far as forum posts go, I haven't seen more than a couple on the 210. I wonder how they're selling...probably not as well as they would if the price was the same as the 115 (or even $30 - $50 more) :rollno:

That $150 price difference is an extremely bad move on TCE's part, IMO. I don't see what could conceivably justify or support that.
  8. Davyo

Agreed,,,, I have not been able to find hardly any reviews a very little feedback on the 210, and I've done quite a bit of searching thru all the usual sources, Amazon, music store's and other places, including here of course as well.

I was not aware I guess that you no longer had the 210,,, why did you only have it a short time ?

On a few side notes,, a few days ago I just picked up a new Ibanez SR series bass, my new SR bass has amazing tone,,, I would love to a side by side comparison with the 115 and 210 BG's with my new SR bass.

I think the main reason I hated the first gen BG250 115 that I purchased, returned and trash talked here on this forum is because I was at the time running my passive P-bass thru it,,,, perhaps for the sound I was looking for with a passive P-bass and the BG115 was not a good match for me.

My main gigging rig is still my GK MB210 series ll combo combined with my GK MBE210 ext cab,,, my little mini stack of doom ;)

But the tone print and built in tuner and the newer active bass's I'm now using are what keeps me coming back to wanting a BG250,,, just which one is is going to make my ears the happiest is the question,,, the 115 or the 210 ?

In the YouTube vids the sound does not seem to vary much with to my ears the 115 getting the slight edge over the 210,,,, but in a live gigging situation that's the real test,,,, perhaps I'm just splitting hairs a bit to much as well.

My reply email from TC claimed the only real difference was the the 210 was just more scooped (your comment as well as I recall) volume wise to me 210's have traditionally put out more volume,,, while one 115's tend to fart out less with a low B string,,,, decisions, decisions,, I really wish somebody here in Las Vegas had a 210 I could check out in person.

Sorry for my ranting DrPepper.

Cheers
    Davyo
  9. drpepper

The reason I only had the 210 for a little while is that I have a connection, and I was able to get demo units of the 208 and 210 (they didn't get a 112). I think both the 208 and 210 are overpriced, so I have neither.

I was interested in what the 208 could do in terms in taking over certain use of my 115. I really wanted to get to the point of having a more portable gig rig (than my 410) and a more portable rehearsal/small gig rig. I left the combo behind in favor of 212 and 115 cabinets.

I have to agree that the variation in results (especially plug-n-play) can be pretty great with different basses.

While I didn't spend very much time on the EQ, I would think that most of the rather subtle differences between the 115 and 210 can be EQ'd away. They can also probably each get to a sound that the other can't. Everything else is in the middle.