1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Biesele upright bass pickup (five string)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Strings, & Accessories' started by hensonbass, Jan 29, 2014.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Attached Files:

2. manueljauregui

manueljauregui

bravo, killer arco sound and interpreting skills

3. hensonbass

4. richhansen

richhansen

Disclosures:
    Endorser of the KSM Foundation Bridge.
    It sounds really good on the youtube videos. Do you have any other more "pure" (bass only direct to board frorm pickup) recordings that showcase its true pizz and arco tone? Also, why are you selling it?

Thanks

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hensonbass

I sold my five string upright bass a year ago and do not plan to buy another one again. Keep in mind I blended the Biesele with a Full Circle pickup for my main tone. When I played with the bow I would mute the Biesele because it does not amplify the string vibration when using a bow. No magnetic pickup does this.

Here's another song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIt...ew-vl&list=PLRFazXZ8d-bUm5pqSHJUoMzc1U8z97aKc

What the Biesele did for me was give a consistent and sustained tone for playing in louder situations where you would normally use a bass guitar. The piezo pickup would give me the initial "thump" to my attack, and then the Biesele would sustain the note longer and stronger like a bass guitar would do.

There would have no way to play that loud and sustained with just a piezo pickup and not have a feedback freakshow.

7. hensonbass

I don't have any recordings of the pickup soloed, and my bass is gone now. I found this: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=924433

I think this will give you an idea of the soloed tone. Keep in mind everyones bass is set up different and the way they play greatly affects the tone. This guy plays the upright more like an electric player would IMO and so it sounds more 'P-bassey' to me. I personally would dig in more to get more 'wood' in the sound.

8. hensonbass

9. hensonbass

10. hensonbass

11. hensonbass

12. jon3673

jon3673 Supporting Member

What is the width of your pickup? My 5 string upright has the separation of a 4 string, therefore, I have an overlapping fingerboard.
    As I'm just across the street from you (ok, it's the state line!) perhaps we can get together sometime and see if it would fit.