Big Amp Decision

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by NekoTheWolf, Feb 20, 2013.

1. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

Hi guys, Im new to this website, and Im trying to find a new (or possibly used) amp to buy. Im having a hard time deciding. Im going for maximum power for my price range ($350-$375), in order to keep up to or surpass my guitar player's marshall half stack (as Im the featured member of our band playing funk), it seems to me like there are barley any amps that can pump out a lot of power which is mainly what i need. Help or suggestions would be appreciated. Ive been looking at a lot of used gear and Im not sure if Id trust to buy anything used, but new gear at this range seems underpowered.

2. Mushroo

Mushroo

What is your speaker cabinet? Knowing that will be helpful in suggesting the best amp to pair up with it. :)

Have you checked Talkbass classifieds for an amp in your price range? Personally I would feel more confident buying here as opposed to, say, a stranger from Craigslist.

3. OneWayPunk

OneWayPunk

4. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

I Dont have a speaker cabinet, i guess i should've made that more clear. Im trying to find either a cab head set, or a combo. Which i guess is kinda why i feel like Im not gonna be able to get much for my cash.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo

At that price, your best bet is some beat-up old Peavey stuff from a local seller. I paid about $175 for a rockin' used Peavey 4x10" cabinet, that would leave you about $200 for the head, which is going to be difficult but not impossible. I use a 500w power amp when I play with a marshall half stack guitar player.

All other things being equal, you will get more "bang for your buck" going for the biggest cab you can afford and skimping a little on the head until you can replace it at some future date.

Another option is for your guitarist to buy a smaller amp. I'm completely serious.

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

That does make it really tough for your volume and tone needs! Deals are out there, someone asked about a listing that had an 800RB with a RBH410 cab for $425.00 That would do VERY well. Peavey or Hartke used are probably going to be the easiest to find. New you are out of luck really for anything of high quality.

8. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

Well, sacrificing quality a bit [and going for power (and of course decent tone)], if I couldn't find a decent used amp what amp(s) should i look at?

9. Mushroo

Mushroo

Brand new, I think you're looking at $700+ for a Peavey 450w head and 4x10 cabinet.

10. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

Dang, well would a 115 or a 210 or something like that be decent for my price range and what i need to stand up against? If so, which brands have the most power?

11. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    $375 is not a realistic price point for what you're looking for if you're buying new. Try the used market and see what you can find. Maybe a local GC and see what they have used?

12. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

Alright, well buying used, should i trust a big name company such as guitar center? Some of the used amp models Ive been looking at just don't exist anywhere other then the one at guitar center, which doesn't seem to make sense.

13. chrism2sych

chrism2sych

Get something..... It hardly matters what it is, just tell the guitard. w/the stack to back off the volume a little, especially for funk less is more on the guitar end. Don't worry about power too much any shows you play will probably have a pa. You'll be loud enough for just about any room. Plus practicing at lower volumes will help you sound better when you do play out.

14. Mastermold

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Used amps are a gamble, but sometimes you can find a gem. You'll need to see what they have, play them and ask questions.

Or just tell your guitar player he's too freaking loud and needs to turn down ... ;)

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Also, to keep up with a Marshall stack, you're going to need some wattage, but really, it's about the speaker cab if you want volume. Think 4x10 as a MINIMUM. Small 2x10's or 1x15's will not get loud, regardless of the amount of wattage you have. 300 watts through a 4x10 is generally louder than 500 watts through a 2x10.

16. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

17. Mastermold

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Not sure how reliable the newer Acoustic amps are but they're priced in the range where you could probably find something in your budget that works for you.

18. Mastermold

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
  19. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

Thanks for All the help guys. I think im gonna just save a little more money to buy something larger