Big E 4x6.5 Review

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by DirtPoorRobins, Dec 4, 2012.

1. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins Supporting Member

So, I've had my Big E cab for two weeks now, it's a 4x6.5, and I have played it in a handful of different venues, ensembles, and with different basses and pickups. I'll skip to the end result and just tell you this is the best cab I've used for upright ever. I've tried many cabs too, epifani, bergantino, tc electronics, TC112, ect.

The thing that sets the Big E apart from the other cabs is how it sounds 10, 20, 30ft away. This is where cabs show their true colors. The Big E has the most full sound after you get 15ft or more away. With double bass I always have to attenuate the low end or the bass will feedback or just sound too muddy, the result with most cabs is a thin sound, especially after 15ft in front of the cab. This is not so with the Big E, even after I turn the lows down a little bit, or put a hpf on, the Big E is still very full and even sounding.

This is what I've been looking for, a cab that will sound good to everyone on the bandstand. I want to make sure the lead trumpet player can clearly hear where my quarter notes are and that it is still a nice full sound. I noticed this with the crazy88 cabs too, (a very close second to this cab) a very even and clean sound everywhere around the room.

Also, this cab is the loudest cab of this size I've played through and it just wont quit. Compared to all my other 112 speakers, this thing is much stronger when it comes to sheer power and volume, the notes just punch you in the chest.
  2. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine

So it sounds like you are keeping it after all! Does that mean I might get to try a Big E cab here in the frigid wastelands of Los Anchorage sometime soon?
  3. DirtPoorRobins

Oh yeah Nathan, for sure, we'll have a lot of fun with our crazy88, crazy8, big e, thunderchild, bergantino, clarus, shuttle, and I also have a minimark and pjb briefcase to compare, but I can already tell you they've been blown out of the water and outdated by now in terms of volume, weight, and dispersion.
  4. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    This kind of reaction makes me even more anxious to get my pair of 2 x 6's next week! :)
  5. Superbird

Superbird Supporting Member

Where can I buy one? very intriguing...
  6. DirtPoorRobins

Contact mike arnopol here on talkbass, he's the builder of these cabs, great guy to deal with, and a fantastic builder, top notch work.
  7. DB Slidefunk

DB Slidefunk

Hi,
    I've been following the threads about the Big E speaker cabs. They sound like a good thing. I prefer the sound of smaller speakers as overall it all sounds a bit cleaner and tighter.

I'm wondering what heads people are using to drive the cabs?

Also is it possible to get a Big E shipped to the UK?
  8. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Hi

There are four of the 45's in the UK.

The Big E's are pretty easy to drive. I use a powerful mini amp. (tecamp Puma 900) I've also used the EA Doubler (half the power of the 900)which worked great. They also really like tube amps.

The only amp I don't like with my speakers is the Genz Streamliner. Sounds a bit tubby to my taste.(with my speakers)

The 45 and 110 sub module can both be shipped USPS. The other spaekers are too big for USPS and UPS and Fedex are about 3x as much.
  9. DB Slidefunk

DB Slidefunk

Thanks, could you please message me about pricing etc.

Thanks, Matt