Big E Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kittyboy, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Huh, I don't know what happened to the previous thread, so let's start a new one.

Here's a video of Mike Arnopol playing these interesting speakers, the technology of which is currently being developed for commercial production by Leland, Duke @ Audiokinesis, and Mike himself.

Very exciting...
  2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

You're right, I was subscribed to the thread and it's gone from my list ... hmmm.
  3. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Apparently I need to curb my enthusiasm. Two fellow TB'ers were over yesterday. I'll let them post their impressions. 'Twas a good day.
  4. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    The cabs defy logic, but I guess I'm an old fart that thinks that bass cabs should have 15" speakers or it's a practice amp. Heh. Seriously though, I'm very interested in these and there is some serious mindshare going into the product. Vortex Manipulated Waveguide sounds gimmicky, but it's not a gimmick when there is something to back it up.

I'm predicting big things for this concept.
  5. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I'm more surprised than anyone!
  6. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

I don't want to pass judgment based on headphones (albeit decent ones) out of my laptop...but this is a most interesting product. Eights can certainly kick some butt if well-implemented....and here, they most certainly seem to be!
  7. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    They have better low end extension than the 15's because there is never any unloading of the speakers. I've never been able to pop out 16ths on the B string and have them articulate.
  8. Jefe

Jefe

Sub'd. Interesting stuff here. Can't wait to hear more!
  9. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    This just blows my mind. 15's are real cabs, 8's are in the guy across the hall's (in college) peavey crap combo. Right? Must unlearn old preconceptions -- I'm glad some ignore preconceptions or we would be stagnant.

So it sounds like the cabs would be good for an octave pedal junkie like me.
  10. Mike Arnopol

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Actually the low end is more focused than the 15's. What I've recently learned is that what I thought was a huge low end was a wooly uncontrolled low end.
  11. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

The articulation thing is precisely what fascinates me. My bass goal is a tone that is both fat and fast, and as I figure out what bass is really about (former trombonist, influenced by the bel canto tradition), quick releases are also the jam! That cabinet sounded great. For my life, I generally don't need something that big, but if there is a 2x8" variant coming down the pike, I'll be very interested (as I keep my Thunderchild 15 for the larger stuff).
  12. barryaudio

barryaudio

Disclosures:
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    Based on the description, are you saying its more like a sealed cab?
  13. kittyboy

Have any Big E prototypes been built in composite yet?
  14. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    From this:

I'd say it was tuned way low which means they don't unload (which is when you go far enough below tuning frequency that the speakers act like they are in the open), and the other consequence of that is low roll off like a sealed cab.
  15. bevan lurrito

bevan lurrito

I guess I dont see anything new here. Looks like a well built waveguide with nice drivers. Yes, waveguides sound great, and can, when properly implemented, get usable SPL's with less power.

Neo drivers in composite boxes would help address the weight/size issue, but make the finished product cost as much as a Ferrari.

Funny side note... I talked to some tech folks at Parts Express about using the Tang Band drivers as subs in a bass cab, and they told me that they would be worthless. These sound great. I guess I should listen to my gut and not the PE techs next time? :meh:
  16. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks

Disclosures:
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    It's still under wraps and under development. Lots of refinements. There's no software that will model these cabs, it's all done the old fashioned way. Way more to it than just waveguide cab. I have 3 of the PA models under my belt now, refining production processes. A dual 8 with a center fired comp driver is the most accurate thing I've ever heard. You can literally hear the engineer triggering the compressors, expanders, effects, everything that was done, that's supposed to be seamless and invisible.
  17. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Wow, perhaps a touch of wool is not a bad thing for those of us with less than perfect technique.
  18. kittyboy

Leland, what weight are they coming in at, the 2x8s?
  19. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Cool. Looks like this might have some potential for DB too. I'd be interested in finding out more but I've still got the hots for an Audiokinesis cab when money permits.

I'm guilty of using a little bit of overdrive for just that reason. ;)
  20. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.