Big low end amps

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CircleOfCrows, Apr 14, 2014.

1. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

I realise there are a number of factors to this- bass/effects/eq/speakers but am considering trying a few different setups or even a bi amped rig. It I was looking for huge low end - what amps would you think of?
    Size/wattage I am pretty flexible on, but I want a serious amount of low end rumble. Tube/solid state/MOSFET whatever. Prefer to stick away from any of the digital/emulating amps.

Are there any 'holy grail' type amps for this kind of sound?

Dirty/overdriven/clean- all good with any of these.
  2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Mesa M6/9, in spades.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  4. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

isn't this what every bass player wants?
    might as well add "cheap" and "impressively monolithic looking but easy to transport"
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Maybe it would be good to define what 'big low end' means to you.

In many cases, that doesn't mean 'extended frequency response down low' in means increased sensitivity in the low mids area.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Interesting...

...but what does that have to do with the topic?
  8. FFTT

FFTT

Reeves Custom 225 or 400 hands down!
  9. danis

danis

+1
    Recently I got a different Hiwatt clone, a Weber Mywatt 200 and this thing can deliver huge uncompressed sub and clean lows.
  10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 The M3 Carbine Combo has he lowest end I've ever heard I had to turn the bass down on this amp and it even has a bass boost.
  11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

+1 I've been running my C225 with the bass knob in the neighborhood of 9:00 and it is plenty for me. Lots more on tap!
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

<insert your favourite amp>

As CLP said, it's all in the cab, baby! Some amps highpass and compress the low end, but you've already nixxed them in your OP. If you can't get "big low end" out of an amp it's not a bass amp.

When I think huge low end, I think powerful PA with subwoofers. I wouldn't recommend biamping if you're wanting PA support, that's a bagful of kittens to get under control out front.

Careful what you wish for. The giant bass rig on stage in a medium venue often gets to carrying the gig by itself. Your stage low end and the PA low end combine badly as a rule. The soundguy will either demand you turn down, or turn you off out front. That's fine when you have a PA style rig like BurningSkies, CLPeavey etc, not fine with a wall of bass doom rig.
  13. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    boutique cab. the amp just needs to be quality and loud.
  14. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    SWR Megoliath will give u lows.
  15. Alexander

Alexander

Agree with the Mesa M9 - also got a big, hard hitting low end out of the GK Fusion 550. DB750\751 is another.
  16. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
  17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

I have never head a cab produce the lows that my 10 year old epifani NYC 4x10 does. Simply thunderous.
  18. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

I guess why I am asking about head is a cab can only ever amplify what is given to it.cab is absolutely part of the equation, but just looking amps at this stage. Looking for extended low end. Sub bass/sub frequencies. Quite often play down tuned/octaves/ subharmonic generators + wouldn't mind something I could look at using a moog taurus with in future. Everything from dub/reggae sounds through doom/stoner/black/drone/noise.
  19. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    In general I think you'll find that the head is not the bottleneck in the creation of deep low end. They pretty much all do it and if your head doesn't make enough low end there's a knob on there somewhere that'll get it to make more.

People are suggesting cabs because cabs are the bottleneck. The vast majority of mass-produced bass cabs out there are not able to reproduce high-volume, deep-low-end cleanly. They fart, they die. If you want serious low end - you need to be looking at cabs that can reproduce it.

I'm gonna go ahead and say fEARful also. My dual-12 stack makes more low end than our 18" powered PA sub. I've never heard these cabs fart. Doesn't matter what head I run through em.
  20. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Cabs have more to do with it, for sure, but if I was in a musical situation where I could get away with thunderous low end all the time, I'd get an Aguilar DB750/751.
  21. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    How about a behringer 8x10 driven from an old Behringer Vamp and Europower power amp. That would meet my definition of large and low end. It would suck but big and low end, you got it.:bag:

Oh I meant a fEarful cab which one depends on how loud you need to be and how efficient you need the cab to be. Drive with with something 300 to 500 for moderate to what I consider stupid loud... Other folks seem to be able to tolerate more stage volume than I find necessary. You will have low end for days... Plus clarity. It is kinda startling the first time you fire one up. More startling yet when you crank the sumbitch up...

I think the only commercial cabs I've heard that compare well were the AccuGroove Tri112L and the Tri 115L, two cabs I like a lot. Heady company for a cab you can DIY or build from kit.