big muff pi vs ggg bmp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rayjoyce7, Feb 21, 2014.

1. rayjoyce7

rayjoyce7

Any idea what the difference is between a Big Muff Pi versus GGG BMP's clone? They are almost the same price, but the clone has to be built. Not sure if the few dollars I save with the clone is worth the time and effort needed to put it together.
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The GGG clone can built to any of the different muff eras, so if you knew you wanted a rams head muff but didn't want to pay through the nose to get one, you could build the GGG to rams head spec to have a decent clone.

Whether or not it's worth it is completely up to you. Do you have experience with electronics or want to learn?
  3. Swift713

Swift713

I had a GGG rams head with the 4 position switch for the tone stack. The tone bypass made it awesome!
  4. Pastrami

Pastrami

It definitely is. The current production nyc muff doesn't have enough low end and the scoop is too deep for use with bass.

The GGG tuned, civil war, or green russian iterations are what you want.
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The black Russian is great with bass too so I'd add that to the list.
  6. rayjoyce7

rayjoyce7

Thanks guys! I don't have too much experience with electronics, but am not daunted by it. It's been a while since I looked at schematics for circuits. I guess the tricky part is figuring out which capacitor/resistor goes where, and then soldering the parts on in a small space (as well as running wires from one point to the next).

After a bit more research, I put in an order for a GGG tuned BMP from General Guitar Gadgets. The owner of the store was pretty responsive to my emails and very helpful. We'll see how things go! I also hope to use it with my guitar as well...