Big Singles on 20-mm spaced bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dtsamples, Feb 12, 2013.

1. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Did some searching, but the answer wasn't readily apparent.

I bought some Big Singles for my Streamer Stage 1 5-string. It's a broadneck, set up with 20-mm spacing. The nordy's are 19 mm. Is that a problem? From what I can tell looking at a guitar forum, there may be a slight volume imbalance between the strings closer to center over the pole pieces and those further to the edges. This was a discussion about strat pickups, though, and with the 45-degree offset pole pieces, I wasn't sure if it was going to be an issue at all.

The bass is adjustable to 19 mm, so it's not a huge deal, but I dig the 20 mm.
  2. dtsamples

Advice bump?
  3. tubehead2

tubehead2

You can email nordstand, from what I have read in this board he can make u Big single with 20mm spacing.

And please post ur result of the modify.

I thinking about having my Thumb SC pickup modify too.
  4. dtsamples

Thanks. That's what I figured. Probably should've worked all this out before ordering the pups. There's a dude on here (a smokin' player, btw) that put big singles in his stage 1, but it's an early model so I'm not sure of the spacing. PM'd him, but didn't check his last login. I'll update with what Nordstrand says.
  5. tubehead2

tubehead2

Hey one more thing, mec soapbar pickup do not have the screws positioning like the others and the bass itself has the pickup's screw brass nuts put in to the body. Be careful on that when order. ^^
  6. dtsamples

True that. Thanks for the heads up.
  7. dtsamples

From Nordstrand (got back to me really quickly):

"You can usually get away with 1 or 2mm difference without any negative impact on tone. The pole pieces might not line up perfectly, but it should sound just fine."

Gotta measure actual spacing at the pickups and see how far off I am. Said they could do a 20mm in a slightly larger cover if I want to rout.

To rout or not to rout... ::sigh::
  8. tubehead2

tubehead2