1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Big Star's Story - Documentary Movie opens July 3rd

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

I had never heard of this band until I noticed this documentary on rottentomatoes.com. The film is 100% fresh with 13 reviews.

Now that I have heard of this band, I am astonished at how good the music is! How can something this good remain so obscure for so long? Well, I guess I'll have to go see the film!

The YouTube uploads for Big Star are getting a lot of hits now that the film is out.

Thirteen
    The Ballad of el Goodoo
    Back of a Car

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me (official trailer)

3. wodock

wodock Supporting Member

I never travel far, without a little Big Stsr

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Alex Chilton used to come to Birmingham all the time as a solo act. Never went to see him, but he had a big following there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Bump for Big Star!

I was fortunate enough to see the Posies-era Big Star live twice (including once in Memphis!), and caught Alex Chilton solo in 2000, after he released his album of R&B covers, Set.

If you love brilliantly-crafted, shiny bright music about dark subjects, Big Star is your band.

Also, if you're looking for a fairly easy, fun bass line to learn, check out Big Star's "In The Street". It's one of my favorite warm-ups.

7. champbassist

champbassist

I came to know of Big Star as the creators of the song that inevitably finds its way into every 'Top 10 Most Depressing Songs Ever' list - Holocaust or 'Top 10 Most Depressing Albums Ever' - Third/Sister Lovers :D At any rate, I can't say I'm really thorough with their work, but this documentary looks promising.

8. Personatech

Personatech

Big Star's one of my favorites and frequently cited by Southern jangle pop bands (R.E.M., dB's, Mitch Easter/Let's Active, etc.) as being a major influence. I hope to see the documentary soon - might just buy it when it's available on Google Play.

9. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

Yep. I saw Alex at this Birmingham dive called "The Nick". I believe it still exists. It used to get knocked over on a semi-regular basis. This would have been about 1989 or so. The Replacements were in town and played at the huge loading dock at Schloss Furnace. They were passing out handbills for Alex's show at the 'mats show. Afterwards, we eased over to the Nick to see Alex. Good times. I could stay up late back then.

10. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

@Personatech I can definitely hear Big Star's influence on R.E.M.