1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Big thanks to Greg.... Aguilar and Roscoe Central!

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by armybass, Mar 28, 2014.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

The rig that Greg built
    [​IMG]
    and tonight paired with the basses that Keith built for Greg
    [​IMG]
    and three of the four of these were built by Keith for Greg's shop!
    [​IMG]

Rocket Music kicks major arse!

Burwabit likes this.
  2. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

I used to have that same cabinet setup before I went to the UL410s, really mids with some booty. I powered mine with a Shuttle 6.0.

3. armybass

This is one potent combo right here folks! Played this last night with on a big boy gig.... it was like a "friggin laser beam".

4. gospel jazz

gospel jazz Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. armybass

Thanks! I love it! Must be the best sound I have ever had.

7. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Thanks, Scott! I'm glad you're digging it!!

I just swapped the guts in the Ric you traded me, and that really brought the Ric to life. I think the original 3-way switch was shot and sucking tone a bit. She sounds really righteous now. And I just received a stereo cable I'd ordered, so Ric-O-Sound should be happening this afternoon!! :hyper::D:hyper::D:hyper:

Win-win!! Thanks for the killer Ric!

8. armybass

Leave the same pickups in it?

9. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I have for now. I bought the higher output neck pickup, but I haven't put it in yet. I want to get to know these pickups better before I make any more changes.

I did some general shielding in the cavities and on the pickups, too. That helped a bit, but it's still obviously single coils. But that's often where the best tone is, so I'm no longer the hum Nazi that I used to be. :)

10. armybass

Wow man you are the evil mad scientist. Bet that sounds killer. I have the toaster in the neck of my 77 but the bridge pup is kinda choked off. Have to tell me how your experiment works out!

11. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    There's no shortage of info out there about Ric's and their use of a capacitor that cuts low end on the bridge pickup. On the one hand, that cap gives you a better chance of sounding like Chris Squire and Geddy Lee... on the other hand it makes the bridge pickup a bit of a eunuch.

Since sometime in 2005, the 4003 basses now come with a push-pull treble pickup tone pot that lets you either engage or dis-engage that cap, so you can make your 4003 sound like a 4001 (or not). That was another reason I replaced the entire wiring harness, to get that mod into this 2004 Ric of mine.

Here's some great background info (this is a kick-butt site chock full of Ric info):
    http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/Rick_maint.htm#cmod

And here's the 2005/2006 wiring harness with the push-pull pot that you can buy straight from Ric:
    http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/HARNESS-ASSY-4-CNTRL-WSWITCH_p_520.html

It was pretty painless to do, just 4-5 points to unsolder on the existing harness and then to re-solder on the new harness.

Or if you just want to run without the cap all the time (which will add balls to your bridge pickup), then you can either bypass it with a shunt or simply remove it from the circuit. No parts required to do that mod, and it's easy to put back if you decide you liked it better with the cap...

12. armybass

I want to do that! But I am a wiring weenie. I don't mess with the electronics in my basses ... I can if set ups but I am afraid to do wiring. My friend Jaymi on TB told me I need to 86 that capacitor. Hmmmmm

13. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Listen to this beast! I went a little "Geddy" on the tone with Paul McCartney's tune, but I dig it. Wicked tone!! :hyper:

"Band On The Run" (Wings)

14. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    So that's recorded using Ric-O-Sound, meaning the neck and bridge pickups are recorded to separate tracks. I sent the bridge pickup to a stereo chorus effect, and I sent the neck pickup to a distortion effect. Think of the 2 dry tracks and the 2 effects as four separate elements. Once they're there, you can just mix the 4 elements to taste.

15. armybass

Wow that bass sounds great. I thought it sounded huge before you fixed it up. I thought that bass had the most ass end of any Ric I have had. Awesome. Making me all giddy about the Rics again!

16. RocketMusic

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Oh, man. I'm adding little bits of gear here and there as I embark on a major pedal board redo... a Suhr Shiba OD pedal today's tasty addition. The dirt sound I can get with this Ric is getting more and more refined!!

This clip was done with the Shiba on the bridge pickup which I then split into both channels of an Alembic F2B preamp, then into the DAW where I added chorus and reverb (I'll be moving those things outboard next). The neck pickup also went in direct through a REDDI tube DI. I squashed it a little bit in the DAW, so I'll probably be wanting some compression outboard, too...

So with 3 tracks (one clean & squashed neck channel plus two dirty bridge channels panned hard L & R w/ stereo chorus & verb)... this is what you get!

"Ric Dirt Demo"

17. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

PUPS are here AG 6J's !
    can hardly wait to hear the tone.