1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Big Time - Peter Gabriel

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Ezmar, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I'm not looking for bass tabs, but I'm hoping to do a version of this song, and I was wondering if anyone knew how I could get Tabs or other music for Guitar. All I've found are Chords, which isn't very helpful for guitar, since it's that funky High register chording. I suppose my only other option will be to (if the rest of the band is up for doing this song in the first place) painstakingly go through and figure out the parts by ear. I could do that, but trying to do that and teach other musicians the parts is significantly more trouble.

So if this doesn't belong here, apologies.

2. jsaunders82

jsaunders82

Dude , I think there is like , 8 bars worth of bass guitar in that song , at the very beginning. The rest is synth.

3. Ezmar

Ezmar

I know that. That's why the first sentence I wrote was "I'm not looking for bass tabs". I know this is a bass forum, but I'm wondering if there's some way I could get the other instrumental parts without having to transcribe it all by ear and teach it to the other musicians. I can if I have to, but it's a lot of work.

4. obimark

obimark

Great song, but if you don't have SOME Serious Keyboard effects and skills, not sure how in the world you'd pull this off, it is SO Synth driven, and SAMPLES> Might as well jsut make your own version.
    Also do you have the stick fingers Tony Levin uses to play the funky slap part?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ezmar

Ezmar

See, that's the thing, it sounds like it, but mostly it's pretty simple, just guitar, horns, and organ. We'll have a guitar player, a small horn section, and a keys player. And making my own version was my plan. It would be pretty faithful, but it just wouldn't have that 80s production sound. It would be a more straight ahead rock/funk tune. Basically take out the synth pads and beef up the organ and guitar. Even when PG did it live, it was a different sound. Listening to that song as many times as I have recently, I've started to see through some of the production to the actual music underneath. It's mostly a funk/rock jam as produced in the 80s. Keep the groove, and the feel, and the basic parts, but take off the drum processing, you have a pretty raw song. It wouldn't be as crisp, but that sound isn't in style anyway, and a rawer version would have a lot more crowd appeal, by my guess.

And I don't have funk fingers, but I have a drumstick, which is even better, since that was the song that inspired him to create the funk fingers. Plus, I can palm the drumstick and play normal fingerstyle for the other bass line. When I first heard that, I wasn't sure Les Claypool hadn't traveled back in time during the Antipop recording sessions. :D

I don't know if we'll do it, but I'm a very ambitious guy. I've learned from experience that hard songs aren't generally as hard as they seem.

7. obimark

obimark

COol, post a clip, because I want to hear it. Always wanted to play this one as well.

8. Ezmar

Ezmar

If we do it, I will. I actually haven't met anybody other than the drummer, since we haven't gotten together yet. It's a bunch of guys the Drummer's talked to, and he's in my jazz combo group, so that's how I know him. I don't know what everyone else will want to do, I've just been brainstorming on my own. Hopefully we can make that work.