1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bigger neck = deep bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by killer, Jan 31, 2013.

1. killer

killer

for me it's just a feeling question..

My jazz has more bass on the E string than my 74 4001 which he has a bigger neck..
    Ok different pups , I agree , but the neck isn't the big % of the tone?

2. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

So wouldn't that be, smaller neck = deep bass? To your experience?

I don't think it has anything to do with neck size. Generally speaking, a jazz is going to have more lows than a Ric.

3. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

I think a stiffer neck makes for a tighter sound--this is especially true of a b-string. And I assume the bigger the neck, the stiffer it will be. But tight sound doesn't mean it has more bass.

4. killer

killer

I've tested my bass with a ua 610.
    I listen thru Adam a7 monitors and I see the graphics on the eq of logic pro.

The jazz "go down" better .

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

Either you are on to something... or on something.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Totally different basses. The neck may have everything to do with it along with the pickups, body, how you address the strings, finish, binding, tuners, bridge, pickguard.....

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 Heyyyyy Ohhhhhhh!!!!!

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

To some degree yes.
    I put a bigger P-Bass neck on a Jazz body.
    And it did fatten tone up a little.
    But neck and body still have to be compatible.

10. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

I have not had the chance to compare similar basses with larger & smaller necks, but I have played many similar Les Paul guitars with various size necks, and the larger neck models almost always have better resonance, sustain and tone.

11. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Actually there is science to a longer neck giving a "deeper" bass, and a thicker and hence more massive neck would also help as well. Whether or not thats what your hearing between the jazz and the rick is hard to tell.

12. KISSbestfan

KISSbestfan

To me the deep bass sound is a matter of many things like strings, tuning, amp etc.

For example, my Defil Luna to me has deeper sounding than my Fernandes Gravity (JB hardware, but with longer scale), even tough the neck is shorter. BUT its fatter, the pickups are different (humbuckers vs JB singles), and the strings (Luna has original strings from 1988, and Fernandes got a set of Olympia strings, that has more metallic sounding).

I also remember a guy, who sold modified Hondo SG bass (with Tesla pickup), the scale was only 620 mm, so the neck was more similiar to an electric guitar. It doesnt sounded bad, but as I say - that may be a pickup matter. Here you can hear some sound
    examples:
    http://algi.wrzuta.pl/audio/7SPy1NKTaf9/hondo_shortscale_palce_ton_dol
    http://algi.wrzuta.pl/audio/2pfBW7BYG3F/hondo_shortscale_palce_ton_gora
    http://algi.wrzuta.pl/audio/24mL3lqHuMr/hondo_shortscale_kostka_ton_dol
    http://algi.wrzuta.pl/audio/aejjtyi0opd/hondo_shortscale_kostka_ton_gora
    (Finger tone down/up, pick tone down/up)

JB has a different coil construction than Rick does, so I think that matters most in your case.

13. aquateen

aquateen

wood with higher density will resonate more

14. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

A thicker neck on the same model bass, yeah, a little. On a different model bass ? Who knows considering all the variables.

15. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

I have found this to be generally true. I've switched out relatively thin Jazz necks with chunky Precision necks before and noticed a difference in the low end punch. I have a VERY chunky, baseball bat like Warmoth maple/rosewood Precision neck that I've had on several basses and each bass sounded "bigger" with it than whatever other neck(s) I had on them.

16. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

I played Ibby SR series and had to compensate with a .125>.130 B string to get some depth. I bought a Gecko5 wide and found those gauges to muddy lacking articulation (at least for me). Went to Circle K's .118 B on a balanced set and the thicker neck allows the lighter gauges to "speak" better.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    No. Otherwise, why would violins, violas, celli, basses, pianos, harps, mandolins, etc. have light thin spruce soundboards? :eyebrow:

18. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

there is more to it than that. There is a little cylinder of pine held in place by the pressure the top and back of the instrument make. The cylinder is place on the bass side of the bridge.

the cylinder take the vibration of the bridge and transfer it to the back ( which is a harder wood ) and thus the vibration move the air out of the instrument. Without that little cylinder a violin would be dead silent.

19. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

My claim is it takes more than high density wood or a soft wood to make an instrument resonate.

In the case of a violin without that little cylinder the instrument would be dead silent.

In the case of a EB I think the brige, nut, frets or fingerboard surface for fretless and the pickup are the important part. Your strings are in direct contact with the bridge and nut, then when you press to get a note the strings is stopped by a fret or by the fingerboard ... of all of these don't resonate well your instrument doesn't have a chance.

20. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The best sounding basses I have ever owned in terms of clarity were
    Mmy Cirrus 5, with a thin but wide neck - Sounded much better than my Cirrus 4 with the same strings, etc.
    My 2 Warwicks with the thick baseball bat neck.

It is only logical that more wood = higher stiffness. However, there are so many parts to the equation of a bass's sound, that I suppose this could work either way, depending on the rest of the parts - body, etc.

21. shadven

shadven

Have you heard / played those new bass ukes? Really amazing. Sounds so much like an upright.