Bigger sound? (wah/chorus/octave?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Buzzo, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Buzzo

Buzzo

Hey guys, I've been jamming with my drummer buddy and we have a bass/drum garage rock thingy going.

I'm running a Rickenbacker 4003 through a sunn model T and using some crappy 412 cabinet with PA speakers and playing really loud. It sounds fine but it just needs a little bit more...something.

I was thinking of getting an octave pedal or a chorus. I've also read that wah's can do help fill space but I'm not quite sure how. Any recommendations?

2. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Typically wahs will suck out a LOT of your low-end and will actually defeat the natural presence that the lows can create.

It's a very vague question you are asking though...do you mean louder? Deeper lows? More definition? I'd say the first thing to try is changing the kind of strings you are using. Secondly, I'd (and no offense to the Ric guys) try a different bass through that rig...Rics aren't always known for their massive low-end response in a band mix. EQ can have a huge effect on this as well. It's a mile-wide question, but try EQ, then strings, then different bass, then $1000 power cable (jk on that last one!)

3. Buzzo

Buzzo

Nah it just sounds kind of....empty. Like I've got to make up for not having a guitarist.

I'm terrible at wording things well. It just needs to be 'fuller'. Volume isn't an issue and neither is definition.

I don't have a whole lot of low end to begin with (due to the crappy cab). Maybe I'll run it through my bass combo as well as the sunn and see if that helps out.

4. taurus1

taurus1

if you have no guitar player, try and get your hands on a Boss HM-2 "Heavy Metal" pedal. ignore the goofy name, the fact that it's a Boss pedal, the way it looks etc.
    keep the distortion knob fairly low, turn the bass knob up, keep the high knob at noon.
    this will give you the thickest, warmest, fattest, most awesome who gives a **** there's no guitarist tone, you've ever heard.
    used they're about $50.00.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. necropain

necropain

honestly i would try some sort of distortion or fuzz, it definitely helps. also wah helps out to fill space when combined with other pedals it doesn't do much on its own. yes i am speeking from experience of exactly what you are talking about. my other suggestions would be delay, or a synth pedal. chorus or some other form of modulation would be my next thought after that

7. necropain

necropain

+1 the HM-2 is awesome

8. Buzzo

Buzzo

I've actually got the HM-2 (whatever the 'good' one is that Entombed used, Japanese make I think). I'll try it out tomorrow. Glad you can understand what I'm getting at.

I don't really want to add much more distortion or fuzz, I like the tone I get from my sunn model T, it's pretty in your face but I can keep it under control.

I'll also try using my bass amp (it's a 1x12 but it's a laney RB5 so it's meant for bass so it might actually have some low end). I really hate using two amps because my DD7 and RV-3 add so much hum.

9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

10. Buzzo

Buzzo

I've been wanting either of these for a long time. Damn I wish I had the money.

11. king_biscuit

I picked up a B3K this week, and after a bit of tweaking, holy hell it sounds good!

12. king_biscuit

Look for a used Pork Loin in the TB classifieds; they can be had for under $100.00 and they sound great.

13. MagicMan_841

MagicMan_841 Supporting Member

Mix octave+fuzz and dry signal.

14. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Fuzz always help fill space.

What type of music are playing?

15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Getting a a better cab might be what you're looking for.

16. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

^^^TRUE^^^

I also think if you have a low budget, and have a dirt pedal that you like, maybe get a Zoom B3. Tons of effects, individual stomp for each of the 3 you have in a patch. You get EQ's, TONS of modulation and filters, Octaver, Compressors, synthy effects (might good for small parts here and there), plus all the amp sims and dirt (might be handy for you, or not).

17. Super Hans

Super Hans Supporting Member

A multi-effects pedal might be utilized in your situation, if you want to try different things like wah, chorus, octave, etc. Personally, I like using my 8-string coursed for jamming with my drummer, with an MXR M-80 and Darkglass VMT. A little reverb can add a nice touch sometimes as well.

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Those effects will make the bass sound thinner ...

Turn up mids and low mids to make it fuller.

19. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

Hey Buzzo, just a suggestion. Not sure how your amp/cab setup will sound with it, but I got mine last week and I'm loving it.

20. Buzzo

Buzzo

I'm just playing fast heavy noisy rock music. Jesus lizard type stuff.

These are the pedals I currently have:
    Rothwell Hellbender
    EHX russian big muff
    Boss HM-2
    Boss RV-3
    Boss DD-7
    Ibanez Tubescreamer
    Akai Headrush mk II
    Boss ODB-3

I've played with all of them and they always add more than I want. I like the pure tones from my sunn, I just want it to fill more space.

I don't really want a new enclosure but I was thinking about changing the speakers in the cab (the enclosure is a tank) from whatever they are now to some celestion 200x bass speakers (green label?)

21. Super Hans

Super Hans Supporting Member

Just curious, have you tried tilting or elevating the cab? Sometimes it can make a difference in how you hear it. It sounds like you're unhappy with the cab, or the speakers. Follow your instinct and get a new one or swap out the speakers like you said, and go from there. You won't know until you try. Good luck in your tone quest.