1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bill Lawrence J45 Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Dec 28, 2012.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass

I own a Bill Lawrence J45 bridge pickup. I plan to use it in combo with another J45 in a parts bass. The pickup rout sizes on my parts bass body (Squier Deluze Active Jazz 5)will not allow me to use Bill's neck pickup- both routs are the same size.

The wildepickups site offers spes on the neck and bridge J45 pickups, and the neck is measured at 3.4 Henries while the bridge is measured at 5.0 Henries, so there is obviously some difference between the two other than cover size.

My question is this: What can I expect my bass to sound like if I use a bridge pickup in the bridge position and a bridge pickup in the neck position? Is there any reason to avoid using a bridge-spec'd pickup in the neck position? J45s are dual coil so hum is not an issue.

Thanks for any answers anyone can offer.
  2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

No, no reason. Carvin "LB" model bass guitars, for one example, come with stock pickups, both of which have the same dimensions as the Fender Jazz bridge pickup. According to multiple reports I've read, the Lawrence/Wilde J45 sets work very nicely in those instruments.

I would imagine that the physical position of the pickups would have a greater effect upon the ultimate tone of the instrument, than would any relatively subtle difference in their voicings... :meh:

MM
  3. chucko58

chucko58 Supporting Member

The bridge pickup is wound with more turns (thus more Henrys) to make it louder, because there is less string motion at the bridge position. So in theory, I would expect this pickup in neck position to be louder and not as bright (higher inductance -> lower resonant frequency).

I've installed a number of J45-L pickups in Carvins and didn't have any trouble balancing the bridge and neck pickups. I also didn't feel there was any lack of brightness.
  4. RBrownBass

RBrownBass

Thanks so much for the replies. I'll go order that other J45 now.
  5. jay loren

jay loren Supporting Member

I'd contact the company via email and ask them. Becky Lawrence is usually pretty quick in answering emails.
  6. Teacher

Teacher

They'll also custom wind for you.
  7. Tim Marshall

Tim Marshall

Would the j45 bridge be hotter than a dimarzio ultra jazz bridge?