1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bill Lawrence PB1 Vintage p bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by precision punk, Oct 16, 2011.

1. precision punk

precision punk

Has anyone tried this pickup? I was thinking about putting one in my 08 Fender American Standard p bass.
  2. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan

It's essentially a counterfeit. You instead would be looking for a P-46 from Wilde USA, which is designed and made by Bill Lawrence, and very well regarded on this forum.
  3. precision punk

precision punk

Thanks Derek I'll be sure to check out the P-46.
  4. archtop2

archtop2

Just installed in a Squier Affinity PJ, my quest was for mor basssss, I got them. I check tomorrow in the mix with my band.

Here is an RTA feedback :
    Low E is ~40Hz , PB1 gives more sub octave (-8 vs -11), a bit more octave, and less double octave (-18 vs -15).
    E1 is now dense and thick.

E fret 12 is ~80Hz, PB1 gives more balanced tone, more octave (-6 vs -13), more double octave (-16 vs -19). E2 is less nasal, richer sounding.

Low E1 / BL USA PB1:
    [​IMG]

Low E1 / Squier P:
    [​IMG]

E2 (E fret 12) / BL USA PB1:
    [​IMG]

E2 (E fret 12) / Squier P:
    [​IMG]
  5. archtop2

archtop2

First rehersal with the PB1, what a radical change !
    It´s way more bassy compared to stock Squier pickup, my amp settings are now bass set to idle, it was nearly full before.
    Bass are now present , mids are in the range, sound is more balanced, lot of presence in the band.

Would be interresting if some have comparisons with other "vintage" pups, got them in my list, Duncan spb1 spb2, Fender 62, Dimarzio model P....?
  6. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

That's good to know. I think a lot of forum members are very loyal to Bill Lawrence and his surviving family members, but that doesn't mean that the PB1 is a bad pickup. Good to hear some some feedback on them.

Does anyone know if this was designed by BL at an earlier time?