Bill withers - Use me transcription

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by pmatz2, Jan 8, 2014.

1. pmatz2

pmatz2

Its only the first few measures.

So I

Copied the following drum grove to Guitar pro 5

http://groovelibrary.blogspot.com/2008/11/bill-withers-use-me.html

This is wow I've been playing it ( it works)
    [​IMG]

so I've been working on my transcribing skills ( I still need a lot of improvement)

what i think it actually is
    [​IMG]

If there are any mistakes let me know and I can fix them

I can email the guitar pro 5 file if you have any changes that you think need to be made.

Feedback is requested and appreciated

Paul
  2. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

The clavinet part also works well as a bassline if your jamming this and nobody else is around to play that part.
  3. pmatz2

pmatz2

I tired to upload an mp3 of both examples but had a problem. I can email it if you would like to hear ir. PM me if you want a copy.

Paul
  4. pmatz2

pmatz2

true but is very different from the bass line. It took me a while to figure that out. :oops:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Alex J

Alex J

I play it like your second transcription with some occasional minor variations to the rhythm, although I also hear a couple of plucked harmonics (which if I remember correctly are on the 5th Fret of the G string) in the middle of the second bar. Doesn't happen every time though!
  7. pmatz2

pmatz2

thanks. I'll try and add the harmonics and update
  8. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Great job! Subscribed.

I know this song because it was on the radio when I was a kid, but I hadn't heard it in years. A couple of months ago I heard it playing and was blown away by the groove. I didn't really know anything about Withers, but I picked up a number of his records and they're great!
  9. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

that's different than I hear as the main theme..

I have no idea how to notate it here.

The big thing is those C naturals. Should be C sharps.

Emin/A7

I usually play a 4 bar theme. I play a octave E to the open E…eighths. Not that D you have on the down. Then I like the D to E chromatics. My basic line would have your E to b on the "e" and the "and" of 4. that Bb chromatic I'd use a variation but not my basic pattern.

The two A's I like but I'd use the first one all the time and the second a octave up (or two octaves actually) on my my first side of my four bar phrase.Bar 2.

Most of my variations would be on the the 2 A bars with bar two being more active bouncing between C# and D and the open E… Bar four gets funkier sparcer stuff.
  10. pmatz2

pmatz2

Zootsuitbass and alex j. Thanks for the feedback and input.

I've updated to to show what I think are the first 6 measures of the song. Zootsuitbass I added another measure to show what I think you said. I agree with the 2 E's as eight notes.

[​IMG]

At some point I should transcribe all the variations. That probably won't happen for a while.
    Paul
  11. Alex J

Alex J

Cool! Nice Job.

Also, I reckon after the B at the end of the first bar of each phrase there is some kind of grace note, whether he's bouncing off the low E, or playing a muted note, or a Bb as you had it the first time..just to give the line that extra bounce.

On the version from 'Live at Carnegie Hall' it's the same bassist (Melvin Dunlap), but they play it a little slower, so it's easier to hear the extra notes he adds here and there.
  12. obimark

obimark

I also think there is a dead-note or (very quick open E) right after the B note- (in anticipation of the two A notes)
  13. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Thanks for bringing this song to my attention. Here is another video with some good shots of his playing hands. See the 1:00 mark
  14. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Huh…

New day,,,new ears

Ok give me Four bars. Give me the E,B,Bb 16ths .Repeat that bar in bar three.

Give me that second bar with the Two A's as bar 2. Except I want 2 low A's Eighths and the high 14 fret A 16th with a Dotted 1/8 on beat 2.These could be harmonics on the D strings 7th fret. They probably are.So use your Second bar beginning kept change the note to A.Wipe the rest of the notes. Then give me just the A Eighths as a down in bar 4.

Yes, there are lots of gracy open E's in the tune.
  15. Alex J

Alex J

Yeah, bad memory on my part...harmonics are over the A on the D string.
  16. pmatz2

pmatz2

By the way I'm using the version off of Bill Withers - The Essential Bill Withers. If you need a copy to figure this out PM me.

So the first 6 bars is trying to be what is exactly off of this version. I think I need to take a break I'm starting to hear things.

Once again thanks to everyone that has helped out on this.

[​IMG]

Zootsuitbass I think I got what you were asking me to change. I may have cut too much out.
  17. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Ok reverse the harmonics, a 1/6 and a eighth. The Finnish that beat with another low A and a 1/6 A on the down of 3, 1/6 rest followed by two 1/16 B's on the and and uh of 3.
    The a 1/16 rest on four followed by a d,d,d#. All 1/16 leading back to one
  18. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

On bar four I'll take your clav line inspired a,a#b and then add the same d,d,d# from my 2nd bar.

If you get that right I'll call that a staring point for variations
  19. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Tab wise put those a to b chromatics right in the same spot, no open a's
  20. pmatz2

pmatz2

I think I have the variations updated.
    [​IMG]

Thanks
  21. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

I don't seem him playing below the 4th fret. That run is on the E string and not the A string in the one video. Six of one and a half dozen of the other :)