1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Billy Sheehan/Winery Dogs

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Nov 26, 2013.

1. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Hey Guys,
    I wanted to share with you ow much I am enjoying the Winery Dogs CD. Billy's tone and playing is amazing. Very tasteful with only a few bass pyrotechnic moments. ;) The crunch he is getting is just great! Now I've never really enjoyed Mr. Big. Although they did a great job of opening for Rush in 1990 when I saw them. I met Eric Martin their lead singer right before the show outside the arena. He was doing his "jitter walk" he said. A very nice fellow. I never got into David Lee Roth's solo stuff. But I liked Billy and Steve Vai's playing. Billy just seems like a great down to earth guy to me. I've always enjoyed his playing and techniques but not really his projects. But this Winery Dogs album is just clicking with me for some reason. The album is mixed very well and just seems like a great combination of good ole rock and roll. The guys also seem like they are just having a really good time making music. Anyway I didn't mean to ramble i just wanted to share. If you guys get a chance give it a listen.
    Take Care,
    Brent
  2. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

I've met Billy on several occasions. He is a great guy, incredibly humble. Anything by Billy is worth a listen. Niacin is especially cool. Dennis Chambers is the man!
  3. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

I'm digging the Winery Dogs as well. I've been listening to it almost daily for about a week now although I've had it for a little while now. I actually jumped on it because I liked the last Mr Big record that came out a couple of years ago (it's actually the only Mr Big record I have). You may like that record as well.
  4. neptoon

neptoon

same here, really good tunes...i've been kind of catching some of their performances on my favorite channel - youtube :D
  5. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

My drummer turned me on to this disc a couple of months ago. I like it, I like what Billy is doing, he's not over playing & the songs are good. His tone is cool.
  6. the_hook

the_hook

Killer playing on this album by all 3 guys. I just can't dig Billy's tone. I've tried, but it just doesn't resonate with me. But he seems like a super nice dude.
  7. Eric66

Eric66

Great songs, great playing. But I am sorry to say that I don't like Billy's sound.
  8. the_hook

the_hook

He did say in a recent interview regarding this Winery Dogs album that he always has to have his signature tone as that's his thing.

Great bass player, humble, and literally gives away any of his techniques. A bass player I would most want to meet and hang out with. But the tone is just not there for me.
  9. newmusicmichael

newmusicmichael

I don't think I've picked up a guitar/bass magazine in the last few months that hasn't had a feature on them.
  10. mglinski

mglinski

I'm just the opposite of the previous couple of posts. I absolutely love his tone.

I grew up in Buffalo, NY and had the pleasure of hearing Billy numerous times before he finally made it. He has always had incredible tone that, in my mind, perfectly fits his style.

Now, that being said, his tone would never work for me, because, quite frankly, I'm NOT Billy (not even in my wildest dreams). 😁
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know, I was never a huge fan of anything any of those guys have done in the past, but I'm really digging the Winery Dogs. Kind of a throwback to 70's rock, but it's a really good throwback if you ask me. And I like Billy's tone in this band...hey, works for me.
  12. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    I saw them here in Portland Oregon.
    RAWK!
    Billy was fantastic and sounded just like himself with the smallest amount of gear I've ever seen him with. 4 Hartke amps, 4 Hartke cabs, his signature EBS distortion box, a MXR M87 Compression pedal+ some kind of switcher/controller for the rig.

The whole band was really good!
    I've had the pleasure of meeting him once also. Was incredibly cool and humble. A complete pleasure to be around.

As for his "tone".....My favorite thing about it is the fact that he DOESN'T sound like anyone else and is instantly recognizable. He actually varied his sound a lot during the show from warm and phat to full on distortion! All the while still sound like himself.....great!
  13. BrentSimons

See Jimmy I knew you would understand, as I picture you as being the sam type of fellow!
    Happy Holidays Y'All

Brent
  14. Frantic

Frantic

15. BrentSimons

16. the_hook

the_hook

Yeah, great find. Still don't dig the tone but cool guy and amazing player. I dig his choice of fills and groove. Definitely a dude you want to hang with and just talk bass and music.
  17. lefty007

lefty007

I'm a huge Billy Sheehan fan, but I'm not a fan of the production of this CD. I can't do the late-80's stuff anymore (unless I'm listening to actually '80s stuff). I wish the production was more Zepellin and less Mr. Big.

I think that Sheehan can transcend decades (listen to him with Niacin, which is timeless), but Portnoy and Ritchie Kotzen are so '80s, I can't stand them. There are some good songs in there, and there's no denying that they all are super human, but the production ruins everything for me.
  18. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

I did, and you are correct...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. basslifter

basslifter

Love the Winery Dogs. Great mix of old and new rock in their sound. Billy seems like a very cool guy who would talk to anyone. There are tons of vids on the tube of u where he goes over everything. Do yourself a favor and listen the the WD tunes.
  20. Mechanical

Mechanical

Great straight ahead rock and roll.

Billy is quite cool and I follow him and Portnoy on Twitter.

I wish I could get the "metallic" tone that Billy has cultivated over the years.

Plus his technique is unbelievable.

The song "Elevate" is on heavy rotation on my computer(s).