1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Birdsong Club Pt 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by acleex38, Jan 5, 2010.

1. acleex38

acleex38

2. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

Scott would be proud!
  3. acleex38

acleex38

#1 - CTBass&Birdsong
    #2 - Acleex38
    #3 - BlackCrayon
    #4 - Slejhamer
    #5 - rfclef
    #6 - Yvon
    #7 - Rowsdowner
    #8 - bunny10
    #9 - grygrx
    #10 - JeffSki
    #11 - Bassguy1
    #12 - Adam H
    #13 - goolimari
    #14 - someguy0105
    #15 - Mojo-Man
    #16 - KENT ROSS
    #17 - MCML
    #18 - TreeChild
    #19 - Nancy
    #20 - opivy3056
    #21 - etoncrow
    #22 - jeff62
    #23 - Ozonbass
    #24 - Arcbassbear
    #25 - Blackbd
    #26 - DeantT
    #27 - ProfessorYaffle
    #28 - Loganpass
    #29 - Auctopus
    #30 - pandapaul
    #31 - banditcosmo
    #32 - jwhughes58
    #33 - mazareth
    #34 - DaveTomasi
    #35 - Dr2Kitties
    #36 - DeepBass9
    #37 - Orion50
    #38 - rathole
    #39 - tbigbee
    #40 - CTBassman60
    #41 - drivenmore
    #42 - deb
    #43 - ToddC
    #44 - mickeymammoth
    #45 - K. Ross
    #46 - Jade Stolar
    #47 - RLS
    #48 - Bird22
  4. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

This thread needs some pics !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

What do you all think of the new control plate for the Cortobass ? Just my opinion but I think I like the older control plate better.

This is from Scott's inventory page:

[​IMG]
  6. rfclef

rfclef

8c-117...

Attached Files:

7. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

I called Scott yesterday and after an enjoyable conversation I placed his first order for 2010 for my first Birdsong, a mahogany Cortobass with black hardware and an ebony control plate/truss rod cover.
    It was blind luck that he was in the shop when I called since they're on a break. I got a great vibe from him and now have to get used to the idea that it's gonna be a while before I have the bass in my hands.

Thanks to everyone at TB and the Birdsong club. Just reading a lot of posts here is an edumacation. I've been using this forum since I first got into playing a few years ago and have used info found here in buying my bass, the classifieds to get a great used amp and even located my awesome teacher, Vern Miller Jr. of The Remains using these pages. What an awesome resource.

I look forward to joing the Birdsong Club later in the year. Cheers and Happy New Year, everybody!
  8. Jade Stolar

Jade Stolar

Hey guys,
    Has any of the Cortobass owners here been able to get that growl/thump P-bass sound out of your Birdsong Cortobasses? Don't get me wrong, I love the low end growl my "Cherry Bass" puts out, but I have always loved the sound of a P Bass but could never play one because the neck on them is just too damn big lol! Just curious.

I wonder if Scott will ever put the Lace Alumitone P pickups in a Birdsong. I believe these pickups are the split single coil ones similar to the Fender pickups. Thoughts?
  9. acleex38

acleex38

I've asked Scott about the Alumitones - he may have even used one in a bass or two (although not sure about the P bass pickup version). It's worth following up on with him - but it won't sound like a P - the materials, construction methods, wiring....all so different.

But that's Scott for you...
  10. RLS

RLS

Glad to see that this thread is getting some action. That fretless looks great. I can't wait to see my bass come together when Scott comes back from break. I think I'm going to head down to Wimberly in the spring to check things out.
  11. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

Jade, I am pleased with the Varitone 3rd click sound in comparing the CortoBass with my P-bass but it depends on what amp/speaker system I am pushing with it. My question to you, are you wanting a straight P-bass sound or are you wanting a P-bass/Ampeg sound? If you are seeking the second you might try the Tech 21 VT Bass Charactor pedal with its SVT or Portaflex Flip-Top settings. With the 2010 NAMM showcase of the soon to be released Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe Prog DI there will be many original VT Bass pedals for sale here in the classifieds in the near future. This pedal with give you much more headroom in your EQ capabilities and perhaps get you closer to the sound you are seeking.

Also, it depends on what P-bass application; for example, if you are trying for a James Jamerson/Duck Dunn sound you might try flatwound Chromes. I use them on my Cortobass and Hy5; but then I am an old fart stuck in old school ways...
  12. Jade Stolar

Jade Stolar

Hey Greg - I would probably be aiming for a straight P-bass sound because I play through a Fender Rumble 25 watt amp (and the amps at the place where I take lessons aren't of any good quality in that respect). Not to mention I don't own any pedals yet. I'm currently learning to play a song that Jeff Healey covered called "I Think I Love You Too Much" and his bass player Joe Rockman played a P-bass (at least on the live version of this song) and it had that thumpy tone to it where I think the tone knob on a P-bass would be rolled off taking away most of the treble.
    Does that make any sense haha?!
  13. Jade Stolar

Jade Stolar

Well, I just came back from my bass lesson and found a pretty good chunky P-bass sound. The varitone was in position 3 with both pickups up full. Thanks Greg for that suggestion I think I found the P-bass sound I need.
  14. etoncrow

You are very welcome; I am pleased I could help in some way.
  15. rfclef

rfclef

16. etoncrow

17. vroc38

vroc38 Supporting Member

18. etoncrow

Congratulations! You get an "atta boy" tip of the hat. I love mine; bet you will really like it.

On a personal note, I read your profile; so you like to shoot amphibians? What caliber works best for that? :bag:
  19. rfclef

rfclef

So, like, do I get a finder's fee or anything?:bassist:
  20. acleex38

acleex38

vroc38 - you want into the club?