1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Birdsong Corto Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redmoe, Jan 5, 2014.

1. redmoe

redmoe

Hey all

I recently purchased a very nice 2010 Birdsong Corto and am a little confused about the controls. it seems to have a volume knob for each pickup and a varitone switch.

The volume controls interact differently depending on the switch position. when in thebmiddle position the neck pickup volume seems to boost at about 80% with the bridge maxed. Once past 80% the volume drops alittle.

Any pointers would be great.

The bass is awesome and has made me a convert to the birdsong line.
  2. redmoe

redmoe

heres my shortbass

Attached Files:

3. redmoe

redmoe

heres the corto

Attached Files:

4. redmoe

redmoe

someine.on here must have one of these
  5. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Someone should chime in soon. However, your best best is to call or email Scott Beckwith from Birdsong. He's the man, he'll help you out.
  6. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

7. darthbatman

darthbatman

This is normal I have Sadhana #51 and yes the circuit is such that the resistors on each different position of the varitone cause the volume pots of the two p'ups to interact differently.

Personally I've been itching to rewire mine to have stacking volume/tone pots on each pickup, in addition to the varitone but maybe with some tweaking there as well, to give each position sort of a more pronounced flavor. Alas I'm not an electronics whiz and have no idea where to begin, especially with the varitone since it's passive wiring. It'd be really cool if there was like a passive octaver circuit or something extra cool for one or two notches.
  8. redmoe

redmoe

Thanks for the confirmation, I may have to crack it open and trace this thing out. Unfortunately they dont have a manual for these. I really prefer the simplicity of the shortbass and love that lace pickup in the neck. I may see if Scott can make me a corto with the single pickup as sort of a bridge between the shortbass and a full on birdsong. Gotta get my Jazz and P bass sold first. After great experience working with Scott on my shortbass and the enjoyment I get from playing both the short and corto I am ready to ditch the others.
  9. darthbatman

darthbatman

Yeah I swear man these are some of the best instruments ever built. Just pure joy. But I'm finding myself wanting to push the envelope as far as different tones I could potentially pull out of it. I'm torn though because it's hard to justify tinkering with something like that, they're designed to be exactly the way they are. The varitone works but is pretty subtle. . . . I've also often thought that the right piezos set in the bridge would sound just amazing.
  10. JayDA

JayDA

That's normal, my Birdsongs do the same thing. I dig the varitone, I don't think it's subtle at all? Maybe it's changed since my Corto was built a few years ago.