1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

SOLD Birdsong "Double Fusion" (full custom short-scale), Walnut/Maple/Rosewood

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by funkyjudge, Apr 3, 2014.

1. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

This is a unique "Double Fusion" (meaning that it is one of a small handful ever built that has two pickups, each with its own volume control, and a sweepable tone control, rather than Birdsong's standard Varitone). The build began in the Fall of 2011, and it was completed and delivered in April of 2012. The Serial No. of this bass is 12F-033. Here are the specifications:

Body: Wild Walnut with crushed turquoise accents (front and back of body) - this is a one-piece solid walnut body, with special forearm contours, in addition to the standard "belly contour" on the back. This keeps the weight down to just a bit more than 8 lbs., which is unusual for a solid walnut bass ... even a short-scale instrument!

Matching Walnut headstock

Neck: Maple, with the trademark Birdsong neck profile, but slightly less bulky at the end by the headstock (not so much of the usual "Deep V" shape that the neck on my earlier Birdsong bass had).

Fretboard: Rosewood, with 24 frets - special MOP/turquoise diamond pattern position marker at the 12th fret; no other markers on the fretboard. This Rosewood board is thick, and has a beautiful dark, natural grain.

Scale Length: 31"

Control Plate; Truss Rod Cover; Nut and Control Knobs: Ebony

Pickups: (2) Kent Armstrong Soapbars (hum canceling)

Controls: Volume/Volume/Sweepable Tone

Tuners and Bridge (strings through body): Black

This bass has been strung with D'Addario Chromes (flatwounds) since new. I also have two sets of 32" scale Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Bass strings (one set of nickel flatwounds; one set of nickel roundwounds), and I will include these two sets with the bass, along with a MONO bass strap that I used with it ... as long as you don't "beat me up" too much on the price!

A note regarding the tone - If you solo the bridge pickup, you can get some "barky" Jazz Bass-like tones (well, almost), but the predominant tone with both pickups set at 100% volume is a deeper Music Man or P-Bass like tone. I don't recommend rolling the tone control all the way to the low end, particularly if you have the neck pickup (or both pickups) at 100% volume. My favorite tone on this bass is with both pickups full-on (or with the neck pickup full-on, and the bridge pickup volume rolled-off about halfway) and the tone control about 33% to 50% of the way on (not bottomed-out). If you want a really deep sound, go with the tone rolled all the way off, but this can get "boomy" in some venues.

The bass comes with the original TKL hard case, all adjustment tools, and both the certificate from Birdsong, and a "build sheet" that I gave to Scott at Birdsong when he was starting the build.

[DEL]Asking $1,750[/DEL] Price further reduced to [DEL]$1,700[/DEL] $1,650 delivered, which is a REALLY great price (it cost about $2,500 as-built).

Here's a couple of pic's:

[I had to compress these images A LOT to get them to load here ... I will add a few more in later posts, but if you want a full gallery of photos (un-compressed), please email me at d.mael@verizon.net ]

2. funkyjudge

A few more photos (still heavily-compressed)

3. funkyjudge

Pic's of the back of the neck and headstock (with serial no.) ...

4. funkyjudge

These are the final pair that I will post here (certificate, build sheet, strap, and extra strings in the case) ...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Wow! That's beautiful.

7. funkyjudge

Since I was asked in a PM what I don't like about this bass, I felt that I should post a reply here for everyone to read. There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with this bass, and I am only selling it because: 1.) It doesn't get played much, and 2.) We really need the money because we had $15,000 to $20,000 in flood damage here in 2013, and then to add insult to injury we are being assessed several thousand dollars in additional Federal Income Taxes because I had to hit-up my IRA to do some flood damage repairs.

Here is what I told the TBer who asked why I am selling this bass ....
    The short-scale Birdsongs are fantastic basses (this is the second one that I have owned); however, having played 34" and 35" scale basses all of my playing life (more than 45 years), it is difficult for me to go back-and-forth between long and short-scale instruments. I play 34" scale 5-string basses about 80% of the time, and when I play a 4-string, it is almost always my '62 AVRI P-Bass. The only bass that I have with a slightly-shorter scale is a 33" 6-string. I just don't find the 33" scale on that one to pose as many problems or challenges as I do when I go to a 31" scale on the Birdsong basses. Generally, I "overshoot" notes or drop down to the first or second positions on the neck, when I should actually be playing in the 3rd or 4th position when I play a short-scale bass.

That's it; I am only selling to avoid the confusion that I experience when going back-and-forth between short and long-scale basses.

8. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

That is a beauty!!!

9. MakoMan

MakoMan

Simply stunning Doug!

10. Hidesert

Hidesert

Beautiful instrument! I LOVE the Birdsong ethos and style. Have yet to try one.
    GLWS!

11. funkyjudge

Here's a couple of close-ups that I took of the bass ....

Attached Files:

12. funkyjudge

one full-frontal shot, plus a pic. that shows the edge profile with the forearm contour ....

13. funkyjudge

I already dropped my price to $1,700 yesterday; I'll go another $50 to $1,650 but that's about as low as I will go!

14. 77stingray

77stingray

Bump for a really great Birdsong!!

15. funkyjudge

Thank you for the compliment, 77stingray! Do you still have your black Hy5?

Doug

16. funkyjudge

Bass is sold, and will be on its way to New Mexico tomorrow!