Bireli Lagrene on bass, conjuring Jaco!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by joe vegas, Apr 15, 2014.

1. joe vegas

joe vegas

Bireli's a legendary gypsy jazz guitarist who did some great trio stuff with Jaco, his compadre in several projects.

it's an awesome surprise to hear him slammin on bass
    on this track.

All the great Jaco tropes are in the brew, but it sounds fresh & cool. an excellent solo as well, headed into "freedom jazz dance". dig it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGdiE-Ssfx4
    Brazilfunk likes this.
  2. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member Supporting Member

yea Bireli is a beast among beasts. He can also rip on a violin. I remember seeing this bass solo in high school/college and being blown away by how well he could play on the bass.
  3. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member Supporting Member

One thing I always wondered about is that neck. Pearl inlays but no lines...I know he could have had an old 70s neck defretted himself, but has there ever been a neck offered like that from Fender?
  4. timobee4

timobee4

My 69 fender jazz had pearl inlays oh what a bass that was before it was stolen. I modelled my bass after watching Bireli Lagrene on YouTube! Custom rewind pickups with incredible similarities to the Jaco/Bireli sound. I had the neck epoxied. I've had 8-9 fretless jazz of different eras including an original 62 but I always loved the look of the pearl inlays. Now I am sure that I have the bass even Jaco would love :) I sure do. I have to check but in a shop nearby there is a red 66 with pearl inlays!
    Just a quick note about Bireli, I can't believe the the style accuracy! I honestly didn't think anyone will ever play even remotely close to Jacos level ( mainly the feel and technique ) but obviously I was wrong! I downloaded all 3 version of Birelis concert with the double bass guy and just adore it just as much as I adore my jaco CDs. I know Bireli was a guitar genius since very young age but still he pays like a reincarnation of the Man! :)

Attached Files:

5. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I have a couple Bireli CD's where he also plays bass, smokin' bassist.:bassist:
    joe vegas likes this.