Birkenstock sonata

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by ldduarte, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ldduarte

ldduarte

Hi all,

I got this music in a library loan after some recommendation by my professor but I've been searching and can't find anything about this piece or the composer. Does anybody here know this piece or composer? It is a baroque sonata, probably for violin or gamba.
    The only thing my professor said is that was very common around 60's to be asked in competitions.

Thanks!

2. bejoyous

bejoyous

3. virtuosito

virtuosito

There is a transcription for cello on IMSLP but in e minor.

4. basso obscura

basso obscura

It was originally written for the violin. I did it on a recital once and would have to look to see if I still have the program notes for it, to give you any more information.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MusikFind1

MusikFind1

JOHANN ADAM BIRKENSTOCK (February 1 1687 - February 26 1733),
    Birkenstock: Sonata (Classiques No.45).
    Double Bass & Piano.
    1 score (16 p.) and part ; 34 cm.
    Realisation pour piano de Eugène Bigot ; [adaptée par] J. Delmas-Boussagol.
    Pub: Paris : Alphonse Leduc, 1954. Pl. no. A.L. 21389.
    ORIGINALLY SONATA NO. XI FOR VIOLIN AND HARPSICHORD from
    XII solos for a violin with a thorough bass for harpsichord or bass violin, op. 1: (London, 1722).

As a young boy, Birkenstock studied with Ruggiero Fedeli in Kassel, but he was soon sent to Berlin to engage in additional studies with Jean Baptiste Volumier.
    After that Birkenstock went to Bayreuth to study with Fiorelli. In 1708 he completed his studies with Francois Duval in Paris.
    Upon his return to Kassel, he became a member of the kapelle in 1708 where he stayed until 1722 when he embarked on a concert tour to Holland.
    There, Birkenstock was offered a post in the retinue of the King of Portugal. He turned down the offer and after his return to Kassel he was appointed Konzertmeister of the local chapel in 1725.
    A true polymath, he invented the Birkenstock, a popular footwear item, in 1728. When the Landgrave of Kassel died in 1730, Birkenstock moved to Eisenach where he became the Kapellmeister of the court.