1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

birthday in a few short weeks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danmyung5535544, Feb 25, 2013.

1. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

my 21st birthday is on march 10th, and my sister is going to help me get an inexpensive 4 string, 300 and under.

Any recommendations, i want a new one and no craigs stuff. So far the best one ive seen has been the squier vintage modfied, the 70's one that is natural and black. Any other hidden cheap gems?

also im preferring passive pick ups, already have an rbx375 for my active 5 string metal needs.

2. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

The SX gets a lot of love around here. (But I haven't tried them, so I can't tell you if they are good or not).

3. Basstardus

Basstardus

had that squier, not a bad bass at all! But I like the black&maple more :D
    Also, try the Classic Vibe basses

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Perhaps a Squier Jaguar?

http://www.fender.com/basses/jaguar/vintage-modified-jaguar-bass

I've heard very good things about the Vintage Modified's Duncan Designed pickups. The all-black with block inlays is passive, and the Precision/Jazz pickup configuration should lend itself to a nice variety of tones.

I know you said you wanted passive, but if you can, try out the VM Special. It's the same P/J configuration, but it's got an active bass boost built in. The thing is a friggin' cannon!

http://www.fender.com/basses/jaguar/vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special

Either way, both would fall within your budget, especially the VM Special. Just out of curiosity, how set on a 'new' item are you?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    Squier VM is about as nice a bass you will ever find for around $300.

SX basses are cheap and well liked around here but I would be weary unless you are good doing setups, fret ends, shimming, etc. some are great out of the box, many aren't.

7. DudeLeap

DudeLeap

I know you said you want passive but the sterling sub ray4 is getting a lot of good reviews. From what I've been reading its a lot of bass for under $300.

8. dalkowski

dalkowski

Squier VM or CV all the way.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1. SX basses are great, but they very often require some fretwork to make them play their best. Not a huge deal but if you're not handy with tools, expect to spend some money getting a setup.

That said, after some fret leveling, my SX now plays ALMOST as good as my Fender.

I won't blow smoke and claim that a $200 bass blows away my MIA Fender, but I'd be ok with leaving the Fender at home and rocking the SX.

10. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

If you want a precision the amber maple squier vintage modified p bass is the best deal for under 300 I've ever seen. I'd expect the jazz basses to be similar

11. Wallace320

Wallace320

Only thing is you gotta hurry for the amber/maple Precision for it's outa catalog at present ('70s Jazz is a complete success instead) so you may look for a stock exemplar.

Cheers,
    Wallace