1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Black Coated Mystery Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nicetouch12, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Nicetouch12

Nicetouch12

Unknown black "plastic/nylon"? roundwound strings came on an old 4 string Yamaha fretless electric bass I purchased on Craigslist. I have been unable to find a new set of these strings anywhere; nobody seems to know what they are. They are simply phenomenal! I would like to post a photo of these strings here but I don't know if this site supports JPEGs.
    Note: These are the "black" strings I have already wrongly ordered online (DR,D'Addario,Black Diamond) (sight unseen, because no manufacturer actually displays their strings, only the packaging). Mine have a black furry felt at the end, and the coating actually looks shiny.
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Are they black colored metal roundwounds? Or are they wrapped in nylon tape and have a plastic-eh feel? Is there black furry felt (more commonly known as silk) at the ball ends? What color are the ball ends?
  3. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

4. 3234718

I don't understand. Are these roundwounds strings with a nylon wrap around the actual wrapped wire? As opposed to nylon wrapped around an already roundwound string?
  5. ACRX

ACRX

Maybe these:

http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/stringsinfo.html

I have their black nylon tapewounds for my short scale bass and love them. They are the only black nylon tapewound strings I could find that have the black felt covering at the headstock end. I think the Labellas are purple there.
  6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Well, they're not the D'Addario Black Tape wounds. They have dark blue silks. Nice strings, though!
  7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Gassin' for a Warwick Dolphin V Supporting Member

They're called tapewounds fender rotosound ghs and Dr strings all make them. Flatwound feel round wound cores work awesome on a fretless... If they look and feel like rounds on the outside they ate DR strings black beauties most likely:)
  8. tonym

tonym

9. yodedude2

yes, these are the ones to which i referred. the nylon is not rectangular in cross-section; instead, it is spherical in cross-section. nylon roundwound

google cannot find new ones available on the retail market. maybe nos packs are hiding somewhere?

or maybe not: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/fender-7120s-discontinued-687345/

edit: i've seen a few sites list these as groundwounds/flatwounds. to my (admittedly poor) memory, they were rough and bumpy strings.
  10. yodedude2

good question. i'm not sure if the round nylon was pure nylon to the core or not. my guess would be yes, it was pure nylon.
  11. Nicetouch12

Nicetouch12

Ok bassists, I thank you for your replies, however I am extremely frustrated about not being able to post an actual photo of these "mystery strings". The advice by the coordinator on how to post photos was not anything that was obvious. So, if you can reply to me by email (bassplace1@gmail.com) I will send anyone out there a good photo of these strings and hopefully solve my dilemma. These strings are extremely different in appearance than any other string I have ever seen. Thanks SK.
  12. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Check your PM's.
  13. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Send me a photo Jason at BassStringsOnline . Com
  14. JustForSport

JustForSport

Try to copy those 'jpeg's' to another folder, then change extension to .JPG and see if they will open, and are then uploadable.
  15. StephenR

StephenR

16. Nicetouch12

Nicetouch12

PM= "Prime Ministers"?
  17. 3234718

Private message. You've piqued our interest and we all want to see a picture of these mystery strings. Mmbongo probably sent you a message asking you to email him a picture. On the top right corner of your screen it says the words "private messages" in blue. Click that and you should see the message.
  18. remainthesame

remainthesame

private message
  19. Nicetouch12

Nicetouch12

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think that is the problem. My photos DO have the jpeg extension. However, it seems, the only way that I can post an image is by using the "insert image" little yellow icon which asks for a URL (http://....), but since the photo is in a folder on my computer (and not on a particular website per se) this form of linking will not work (as it does with every other website method of loading a picture, essentially by searching one's own computer folder for a particular picture). What am I not knowing?!
    SK
  20. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Talkbass does not host images like Facebook. You have to host it yourself.

Again, check your pm or email it to Jason.