1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Black Diamond Jazz Bass Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Jan 19, 2014.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Just saying! I don't think I will ever use another type of flat wound string. I have sterling by music man with black diamonds and I can get any sound I want. I have had them on for about 5-6 months now and they still sound great! If I want to get the Good ol blues sound(my favorite) I can get it. If I want to slap my way into funk heaven, I can. They are very versatile strings. If you are a flat wound player and haven't tried them I would definitely recommend them. I do plan on getting a Fender Jazz bass and throwing the black diamonds on them and then putting some rounds on the music man. Point is, black diamonds are great!
  2. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Interesting. Could you give us a tonal description, as they compare to other brands' flats?
  3. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

If you want a deep blues sound all it takes is a little tweaking on your amp and if you even want to bring down the tone knob just a little it will sound great! As for slap/pop style, a very smooth sound. But you can make them sound pretty bright to the point where you almost think they are rounds. You can get a very vintage 70's sound from them or a new bright sound. I've used D'addario chromes and rotosound flats and while they were both great strings, I just found the versatile perfect sound for me with black diamonds. Whereas the others could be used for slap/pop but I would have to get a lighter gauge for it to sound good, and I don't like lighter gauges personally.
  4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I didn't know that brand was still around! When I was a kid you could find Black Diamond Guitar Strings at the "Dime Store."
  5. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Thanks for the detailed insight! I'll try to see if I can get my hands on a set.