1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Black fret wire - is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RunngDog, Sep 27, 2006.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

... Or would it have to be coated with something that would wear off instantly? I'd like to use on a dotless ebony fingerboard and get a look similar to a fretless.
  2. spudmaster34

spudmaster34

this has been covered countless times:
    No
  3. THIRSTYGUMS

THIRSTYGUMS

you could make black (well very dark grey) frets out of carbon fibre but it would be a serious job, i would think you would have to install them as you would fretlines on a fretless but leave a fret above the board. cutting, and more to the point, breathing carbon fibre is the devils work.:crying:
  4. Larry Davis

Larry Davis

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

Martin Clevinger did alot of experimenting with different pickup materials when he was on his quest for the coil-less pickup. The pickup system required frets that were not conductive. He tried hard lacquer, epoxies, hard plastics and even discussed the possibility of MGO coating (the stuff on electric stove burners). None of the stuff was really feasable though due to short lifespan or the inability to perform fretwork without ruining the finish.

-paraphrased from "American Basses"
  6. excane

excane

I'm sure it would look cool as hell if it could be accomplished. Possibly with LED's on the neck? That would just be sexy.
  7. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

If you have aluminum frets, you can dye it. But that takes a lot of chemicals.

lowsound
  8. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon

Disclosures:
    Owner/designer; SGD Lutherie
    Yes, but as soon as you level them, you would grind off the color. Aluminum frets wouldn't last too long either.
  9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I thought of that after I posted.

lowsound
  10. '76SVT

'76SVT

What about a Tenifer coating ala Glock? It's very hard...

Like a Parkerized metal...

This matte, non-glare finish meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications and is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish.
  11. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

Strangely enough I just posted about this in another forum, but I have a bass with black delrin frets, that have lasted about 5.5 years with nickel strings without any visible rutting, flats, or other wear. They definitely exist.

However, if you find that you don't like them, and they do sound very different (almost like a fretless), you cannot go back because they have a round bar tang, rather than the standard thing tang. So, you are milling out small channels rather than just sawing an incision.

They do work very well, though. I'm trying to remember the company that makes them. I'll get a picture in the next few weeks, the next time I go home.
  12. Angus

Here we go:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. spudmaster34

spudmaster34

14. eleonn

eleonn

Ok ...I'll be the one who asks ...where do you get those from?
  15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

If my understanding is correct, it's not a "fretting supply" at all. It's 1/8" diameter black Delrin (acetyl copolymer) round rod, a standard engineering commodity. It would be available from a plastics supply house, such as serves the machine-building industry (and other industries).
  16. Bryan316

Bryan316

Using Delrin as frets? Jeeeeez... you gotta tell us how it sounds musically, cuz I can't imagine plastic frets resonating well, or even lasting very long.
  17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Please re-read Angus' posts. Your info is there, and it's from experience, not conjecture.

As some background, it seems that delrin frets are not so uncommon on classical nylon-string guitars.
  18. Bryan316

Bryan316

Missed that part of the description.

5.5 years is quite a break-in demo period, I'd say! I guess I'd have to hear it myself to judge whether I'd like them.
  19. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

It's now 2012. How are the Delrin frets holding out on the Yamaha bass?
  20. Angus

Actually, I sold the bass about a year and a half ago (maybe longer?) because I wasn't playing it enough. Huuuuuuuugely regret it and wish I could buy it back. It went to Hong Kong.

I really, realllllllllllly miss the bass.

The delrin frets had zero wear, though. I have a pretty light touch, though, so I go about 10+ years without refrets.

I would do it again in a second, though. The feel takes some getting used to- they feel a bit "squishier" than metal frets, even if there is no real perceptible/quantifiable give. I've been thinking about having it done to another bass and a guitar sometime soon.

I think Randy Parsons in Seattle is probably the only one doing it. I know TK Instruments does a similar procedure for metal bar frets that feel pretty cool.

Thanks for reminding me how much I wish I had this bass still, though. :D I put a lot of work into it!!!