1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Black Nylon string problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassBus, Jun 18, 2008.

1. BassBus

BassBus

I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here goes. I've just put a set of black nylon strings onto my Spectorcore fretless. A, D, and G strings sound fine through the piezo pup but the E string has a marked drop in volume. Strange thing is when I put my finger on the string over the piezo it returns to normal. Sound is fine through the mag pup. Tried putting the old half wound E back on and no problem. It sounds to me like the nylon string is not conecting with the piezo properly. Any ideas would be welcome.

2. BassBus

BassBus

3. BassBus

BassBus

4. DavidMP

DavidMP

It seems that the string is not sitting right on the bridge saddle. My guess would be that the girth of the string is larger than what the groove is; if that is the case you can
    a) increase the break angle by making the E string go though the body, if possible
    b) file the groove larger but you might damage the piezo element in the saddle depending on the bridge design
    c) build up the groove or make a close fitting cap with some hard material

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassBus

BassBus

Thanks for the info. Will look into it. :bassist:

7. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

OR

I had a similar problem........

the Piezo under the saddle is not making the correct contact with the saddle.

pull them and check that a shim is not stealign away that direct contact. A slight bend to the metal strip may restore contact if needed. I would do this before filing ANYTHING.

take a look, it is free and reversible if needed.

8. BassBus

BassBus

That sounds possible. I have tried putting a small piece of aluminium foil under the string and that has helped a lot. I am aware these strings have a lower tension than regular strings so your suggestion may work. Thanks.

9. readsdotstoo

readsdotstoo

Hi, I thought you might be interested in an email conversation I had with Spector re problems with nylon coated strings on the piezo bridge:

My email to Spector - I have been experimenting with different strings on the instrument, trying to obtain as near an upright bass sound as possible. However, when putting Rotosound trubass 88 (black nylon coated flatwounds), when using just the piezo pickup, the response from the A and the D string is very low. I notice that touching the chrome part of the sadle results in the sound becoming bright again, implying that there is no fitted earth on the A and D saddles, whilst there is on the E and G. I have subsequently tested continuity and note that there is earth continuity on the E and G string but not on the A and D. When I put the standard (non-coated) flatwounds back on, all is well and there is continuity across the saddles (using the chrome part for testing purposes) implying that continuity is via the metal strings.Is this normal? Does this mean that the instrument cannot be fitted with nylon coated strings for use with the Piezo bridge?

Their reply to me - thank you for the email. I am glad you are enjoying your Spector bass. please note that for the Fishman piezo pickups to work, strings need to be standard strings not coated or tapewound. you are correct about that. so flatwound strings will work for you just not any coated or tapewound strings.

So there you have it - apparently. It is my intention to provide a full earth to each saddle and carry on the quest. Finding a bass guitar with a true upright sound (I also play upright) has been a holy grail. My conclusion so far, get a bigger car so that I can carry my upright bass!