black replacement grille for a Mesa ph112?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Fletz, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    Anyone know if and how I can get a black replacement grille for a Mesa ph112? I just got a used one here and it has the silver grille and black will match my current one.
  2. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie Supporting Member

Media:
  3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Any sort of sheet metal spray paint should do, right?
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

The easiest solution is to paint it. Getting the paint to stick is the hard part. If you want the paint to stay in place, the metal needs to be prepared, possibly sanded, depending on what is there now, and a good primer used. Epoxy spray paint works well and is tough. If it doesn't work, you can always try again. To keep the Stones theme going, time is on your side.

You could contact Mesa and ask if they have a black replacement available. You never know.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I called Mesa about it once. I think it's like $140 for a grille! I also asked them to tell me about their process of painting it (he believed it was a "powder coat" which is different from regular spray paint). My concern is- I dont want to spray paint it and have it come out crappy... like not matching. One state no one would probably notice but it would drive me crazy.

I have a silver PH 112. I'd be down to trade if you want, although it seems like you are going for matching black. My other cab (4x10) is black.
  7. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:

I would totally trade - but you are in New Mexico! ;). Maybe just the grilles?
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

The advantage of a powder coat is that it is tough. There are places that will do powder coating for you but it can be expensive. The powder is electrostatically applied and then baking cures the finish. It's a nice thin and even coat in the end.

I had some mesa cabs in the past and the grille finish appeared to be an epoxy. It was thick and a bit bumpy.

The best primer that I've found is zinc chromate. Every paint that I've tried sticks to it. This primer is a bit nasty in terms of your health.

At the end of the day, $140 isn't all that bad if it is going to be a cab that gets used a lot and you want it to look right.
  9. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Yeah man, just the grill. I dunno what kind of beating u've put your cabs through :p Send me a PM if you want.

[​IMG]
  10. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member