1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Black Smudges

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 8liter, Nov 23, 2013.

1. 8liter

8liter

Hey there ladies/gents. Yesterday a poster fell off my wall and the black binding rubbed some nasty marks on my Yamaha BB.

I haven't the slightest clue how to get these off. Any help would be much appreciated!

Here are some pics.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I'm thinking along the terms of mild solvent (Goo Gone, etc) and/or rubbing compound. I'm sure others will embellish my response but it's a start. I would certainly limit my trial(s) to the most inconspicuous area.

Riis
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Have you tried a moistened cloth yet?
  4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

Rubbing compound should be the last resort. Try a solvent like naptha (lighter fluid).
  5. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

start with some glass cleaner on a soft cloth. if that doesn't work, a little automotive polishing compound or swirl mark remover on a microfiber cloth will get the job done.
  6. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Goo Gone is my go-to for stuff like that.
    And for some reason, spit works well, too. Not sure why, but I've made scuffs go away with spit polishing.

I'd avoid windex, it tends to cloud a poly gloss surface. But you can always apply polish afterwards.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Spit also works for getting pen ink off of skin.... It was part of a junior high science class exercise that I recall from a "few" years ago.....

I personally would try, in order:

Window cleaner
    Goo-Gone
    Naphtha (lighter fluid)
    Car wax
    Rubbing compound
  8. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Having worked in the printing industry, I learned that WD40 is really good for removing printing ink. I just thought I'd throw that out there for future reference. I wouldn't get it anywhere near my basses, though.

I'd try Meguiars's #2 Polish if you have to resort to something stronger than a simple cleaner. I've used this, and their #3 Carnuba Wax on my basses, and it's cheaper and works better than those little cans of the guitar company stuff.
  9. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I vote for goo gone stuff is amazing.
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If it's a poly finish like the modern Fenders, a dab of WD40 on an old T-shirt should take it right off. I pulled a couple of stickers off a poly finish J bass the other day and they left sticky residue behind. I went with denatured alcohol and all it did was push the gunk around and darken it up so it was more noticeable. I tried windex and again, no love. All I had left was some WD so I shot a tiny spot on an old rag torn from a T-shirt and hey presto, gone like magic. I later rubbed the whole body down with windex, then used some polishing compound (by hand on a t-shirt rag) to get a few little paint rubs off the bottom edge. After that I waxed it with turtle wax paste and it's slick as a baby's be-hind.
  11. 8liter

8liter

Thanks a lot for the tips. Some windex, a cotten shirt and some elbow grease, and it was gone in about 10 minutes.

Now to buy a better poster hanger :rolleyes: