1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Blackfacing the Fender PA 100

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Grissle, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Grissle

Grissle

'75 PA 100. Which schematic should I emulate. A Twin Reverb or Dual Showman?

2. Grissle

Grissle

3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Blackfacing in a SF Fender guitar amp is a matter of upping the impedance of the PI (phase inverter), changing the bias balance to a bias adjust, and the removal of rf suppression caps (IF there is no oscillation as a result.)

I don't see what the advantage in this amp would be. The preamps are nothing like a Fender guitar or bass amp. I don't like changing the bias balance but would prefer to leave the bias balance and add a bias adjust (replacing one resistor with a pot and resistor.) Why not have both? The purpose of blackfacing was to lower headroom, make it easier to break up the amp, and add some high end complexity.

Tell more about your amp and your goal in the modding?

4. Grissle

Grissle

Sorry, I had read in a few places that the PA 100 had almost identical power sections as the Twins and Showman. I also thought that Blackfacing applied to the power section as well, not just the preamp.

5. Register to disable this ad