Blackstone Appliances Mosfet vs Way Huge Swollen Pickle

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kopfjaeger, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Has anyone here done a comparison between Blackstone's Mosfet driven distortion pedal and Way Huge Swollen Pickle? Does anyone here use the Blackstone and if so, what do they get out of it?

Sepp
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Just be aware that the Pickle is a fuzz, not a distortion.

If you're looking for a fuzz, check out a DMB Bumble. I never liked the Swollen Pickle at all, but the Bumble is just killer.
  3. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Yes, most definitely more fuzz. Almost synth like. With the crunch set to max, filter halfway, and sustain at minimum it adds a bit of distortion type grit. I know I'm not using the Way Huge like it was intended but it is minimally passable in this role.

So no opinions on the Blackstone?? Anyone?

Sepp
  4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Media:
    I own both of these pedals, and would never compare them directly. I like the Blackstone honestly, and think it sounds great on bass if you remove the filtering cap (it's designed to be replaceable).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Thanks for the review. I had sent Blackstone an email a week ago but have not heard back. Possibly closed for the holiday but a reply from them would have gone a long way to answering the questions I posted here. It's a bit pricey to experiment on.

Thanks again all who posted,

Sepp
  7. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Just emailed with the owner of Blackstone. Great guy! He does recommend pulling the cap for bass use. He offered Q&A should I need any assistance with his product. Phenomenal customer service!!

Thanks again to all who chimed in!

Sepp
  8. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

which cap are you talking about? I understand it's a filtering cap but would you expand on the topic, please.

I tried this pedal without modification and I thought it chopped too much of my bass frequencies. It's a great sounding pedal frequency issues asside.
  9. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Media:

The cap in the upper left corner, can be removed totally for maximum bass pass.