Blacktop P -VS- Modern Player Jass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rumblinbass, Sep 20, 2012.

1. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

what kind of tonal difference can one expect between the BT P and the MP J? Both have Alder bodies, Maple necks, Rosewood fret boards, same pickups, and same nut. The only difference is the bridge.

Anybody tried both of them? I wouldn't expect much if any difference at all.

EDIT: Just realized I mispelled "Jazz" in the thread title. lol!
  2. 9M2E

9M2E

I have played both and own the blacktop pbass... the modern player jazz realy let me down ... i dont think the pickups are as overwound/hot as the blacktop. My bandmates refer to the black top as the jackhammer as it has the thunderous low end of an active bass and cuts through the mix like no ones bussiness...
  3. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

I have never played the blacktop, but the "modern player" was about the most dead and lifeless bass I have ever played. Certainly one of the worst Fender models. I have been a Jazz Bass guy for many years and owned quite a few.

TNC
  4. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

....well, this should be a pretty short thread.....
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Yes, it was a sad bass when I tried it, too. Pretty disappointing, considering that trans-black finish is gorgeous!
  7. PhR

PhR

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the pickups in different position, or at least the neck pickup? In a BT P the humbucker is in a position where a normal Precision split coil is and therefore closer to the bridge than the MP Jazz Bass' neck pickup. There's the difference.
  8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I swear I was thinking about asking the same exact question. I was looking at the modern player and the blacktop side by side yesterday in Sam Ash and thought the same thing. I think the bridges were different.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  9. Wallace320

Wallace320

And still pickups were more audible than on BlackTop Precision.
    I think I used an american football term audible, in a european meaning (sorry)
    I mean:
    center pickup on the BlackTop Precision has lower E string magnets right under E string, instead of interpolating it right in between higher and lower magnets

I once owned a BlackTop Jazz bass, very different (and more focused... split+split) beast than BlackTop Precision

Cherrs,
    Wallace
  10. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

If I'm seeing this right, Fender skimped on the BT and used the same pickup in the bridge & neck.
    The MP has a different pickup in the neck that aligns better with the narrow string spacing.
    I'd almost want one of those in the neck of the P, even with the 1/2" difference in placement.
  11. audiomitch

audiomitch

The MPs are made in China and the BTs in Mexico, right? I wonder if the pickups all come from the same place. That could explain why people are getting vastly different responses to very similar basses.

Disclosure: I've never played either one.
  12. Wallace320

Wallace320

'cause if BlackTop is sure Made in Mexico, Modern Player is Crafted in China. May I say "assembled in China"?!

I really think parts all come from Ensenada

That's why nippo models once were Made in Japan, now are Crafted in Japan as well.

Raw materials are from given country, if only... again, parts from Ensenada

For instance... basswood's nearly everywhere right?! So is alder, ash, maple.

Yet what is "pine" in China (blonde Squier Classic Vibe '50s) becomes "agathis" in Indonesia (Squier Mike Dirnt Precision) or "cedro" in India (Jackson Concert)

IMHO... parts (pickups, hardware - except bridges) all come from Ensenada

Cheers,
    Wallace
  13. basslyon

basslyon

Disclosures:
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    I don't think much more needs to get said about the mp jazz. If you want a HH jazz buy a std, get out a router and a soldering iron and do it yourself
  14. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

indeed they are. only noticed the difference after looking at the close-ups.