Blast Cult basses

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by tombowlus, Jan 24, 2012.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Howdy, folks! I just got back from NAMM, and one the most exciting "discoveries" for me was Blast Cult double basses. I heard Miles Mosley play one at the Bass Bash, and was immediately blown away (by Miles and by the bass). We checked them out down in Hall E, and they ended up winning one of our Best of Show awards. I had not seen much hype about Blast Cult here, so I thought I'd give them some props and maybe kick off a discussion of these great, American-made, highly feedback resistant basses.

Here's a video of Miles playing a little bit after we gave them the award on Sunday:

Miles Mosley plays a Blast Cult bass

2. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

3. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Tom,

I had heard that Blast Cult is the company that Jason from King Doublebass started after King folded?

:confused:

4. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    I believe that is correct.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

I see that King had a booth at Namm last week with uprights and what looks like Slab basses.
    [​IMG]

Any idea who is running King DB now?

7. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    Unfortunately, no. I did not get a chance to stop and talk to them. Even with four full days, I can't seem to cover the whole Show. :rollno:

Of course, we spend a lot of the Show in per-arranged meetings about advertising and gear reviews, so I guess it's good to be busy at the Show...

8. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Do they still build upright basses??? I want that fretless slab!

9. CindyB

CindyB

This is a very old photo. King is long gone. I have their big trade show logo hanging on my living room wall. Jason's new company is Blast Cult. They're making awesome upright basses and some electric guitars. I don't think they're making electric basses currently, but I'm sure that if money talked, they'd listen.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
  11. shwashwa

shwashwa

in one of the videos i saw they talk about the pickups. i didnt see a pickup mounted on miles' bass. can someone elaborate on their pickup system that claims to be able to get as loud as your guitarist without feeding back?

12. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    They have two pickup systems, and I think we may have pics of them, but they are not up yet. I'll try and post them here when we do get them up.

13. shwashwa

shwashwa

that would be great. also, does the feedback resistance come from the pickup system, or is there something different about the construction of this bass that makes it feedback resistant. and, is it really as feedback resistant as they claim?

14. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    No, it goes well beyond the pickup system. They do a number of things to make it feedback resistant, the most significant of which is that they install a second soundpost (which can be removed, if you don't need the feedback resistance and want more acoustic volume).

Talking to Miles, who has played stages as big and as bad as they come, the One 4 Five has entirely eliminated feedback as a problem for him. :cool:

15. numpty

numpty

Hi, I have dealt with Jason to buy one of the new Blast Cult pickups and I have found it a very good experience. The Channel Blaster pickup system is a very good. It consists of the usual rockabilly formula of one pickup for the wing bridge + one pickup for the fingerboard. Sonically these pickups are of great quality and are encapsulated in wood, which helps giving a very warm and 'traditional upright' sound. The blending system is stompbox which does a great job of blending plus looks extremely 'retro ' and cool.
    Incidentally, I am not keeping this pickup because the loud band I was meant to use it with no longer exists, hence I don't need to be loud or slap that much anymore. I'm back to my acoustic bands and the Channel Blaster is wasted there. But, if I were prevalently a slap player or a in a band with a drum kit, I can't think of anything better.
    As a customer, Jason was great to deal with, and always ready to help and answering all queries very efficiently, even if I'm in the UK and not exactly 'round the corner from him.
    As for the feedback, I think the pickup helps, but you are totally right, I think the whole Blast Cult bass is built with loud stages in mind and probably the only sure anti feedback fix is to get the whole package!

16. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Blast Cult user/endorser here! Just got a new one maybe a month ago (?)

I opted to try not putting the second soundpost in mine, but may at some point if it needs it...the pickups are awesome, esp, for slap bass.

Attached Files:

17. tombowlus

Disclosures:
  18. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Thanks! I've owned maybe 10 uprights, and this one is by far my favorite live bass...BC has figured out how to make them super loud, but still acoustic sounding...I'm just giddy about this thing :)

19. edfriedland

edfriedland Supporting Member

I'm totally loving my Blast Cult One4Five. It's the most consistent upright bass I've ever played. Every note has punch and attach, you don't die as you move up the G string, and the E is a jackhammer. And, it has the exact right tone for all the roots oriented stuff I play. I'm a relatively new slapper, but the bass is so well set up for the style that I've improved noticeably since getting it.

Check out my demo:

20. Les Fret

Les Fret

What are the prices of this bass? And is there a website where I can see the options and different basses?

21. edfriedland

edfriedland Supporting Member

Blast Cult's website is not fully online yet, but they do have a Facebook page, the price lists are in the photos. The basic One4Five is $3700, pickup and preamp are not included. These are totally hand made in the good ol' US of A.