Blend potentiometer question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tylerwylie, Dec 23, 2013.

1. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

So in my active 6 string bass I have a 500K volume and blend, but have been reading that I can get a better result from a passive blend if I go with an M/N taper. Is this true even with an active instrument? The blend potentiometer I'm using is this one right now: http://www.allparts.com/EP-6386-000-CTS-500K-Balance-Blend-Detent-Audio-Pot_p_1503.html

By the way, I like to hear a mix of both pickups, but never leave the knob 100% either way or straight up, I usually want to favor one or the other.
  2. gpx1200

gpx1200

im not shure this has any bearing on your situation but I have 2 spector rebops bolth with emg active twx pickups.
    one has an emg abcx active balance control ($50) and the other has a standard balance pot($8) and I hear no difference at all in the output of either bass.
  3. line6man

line6man

Yes, M/N taper is generally better. Active or passive doesn't have anything to do with it.
  4. tylerwylie

Yea.. can't seem to find a 500k m/n taper blend that'll fit a hipshot knob. Wonder if it's worthwhile to grab a 250k one instead.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Technically, a 250k will lose a tiny bit of your highs compared to a 500k.

It varies form one pickup set to another, and the difference is pretty subtle, so you might not even be able to tell the difference.

You might try removing the ground from your existing blend pot first - it's free, so may as well try it. A lot of folks here have had good results.....
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/blend-pot-250k-ac-500k-mn-wow-900094/
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

how do you know that pot isn't already M/N?

this one definitely is, and they have 500k and 250k versions, the 250k being nice for the un-grounded blend trick.
  8. tylerwylie

It says audio taper, not m/n taper. Again, I know jack **** about potentiometers so I'm trying to figure it out lol
  9. walterw

hmm, yeah; "audio taper" might mean "A/C", which would mean a blend that has both pickups turned halfway down at the centerpoint, no good.
  10. tylerwylie

Would the Bourns one since it's split shaft fit my Hipshot knobs?
  11. walterw

split-shaft pots have smaller diameter shafts, so likely yeah.

just line up the set screw on the knob so that it goes into the "split", otherwise tightening it will just force the gap closed and bend the pot shaft.