1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

blending finger and pick style playimg

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fusion man 85, Dec 7, 2013.

1. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Im play mostly finger style but I like a like a lot diffren music and like blend diddrent styles together could some one give me advice on trying to blend these two playing techniques im also not comfortable with a pick on bass and play flats
  2. thebrian

thebrian Still can't think of anything good to put here. Supporting Member

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Flats don't have anything to do with it, but since you said you aren't comfortable with a pick yet, you'll need to become comfortable with that first. Once that happens, then you'll be able to blend it in with your fingerstyle playing. A lot of guys wedge a pick under the pickguard so it's easy to grab when you want it. I don't do a lot of switching in a single song, but I do play some songs with a pick and others with my fingers. You'll need to learn your volume differences too because picking usually comes out louder than fingerstyle. I usually just knock the vol on my bass down a notch when I go to a pick.
  3. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

I remember seeing a video while back where Brian Setzer was able to use a pick, then tuck it somewhere between his fingers to finger pick. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the video or technique again.
  4. thebrian

thebrian Still can't think of anything good to put here. Supporting Member

I know Mike Gordon from Phish plays mostly with a pick and he tucks it somewhere in his hand when he slaps and/or plays fingerstyle. Not sure what he does exactly, but I know one second he'll be slappin a groove and the next he's on a melodic line with a pick and vise-versa... and it's always seamless.
  5. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Trevor dunn does some similar things with mr bungle and fantomas
  6. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

I play a lot of fingerstyle with a thick pick tucked in my hand for particular passages. All I can say is practice and be proficient at both styles.
  7. Lownote38

Lownote38

When I play guitar or bass, I palm the pick when I'm not using it. A simple flip of the thumb puts it back between my fingers.