blew a speaker last night

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by doomloop, Sep 1, 2013.

1. doomloop

doomloop

Blew my 15" speaker (spare rig/ss head) last night at a gig...

I play pretty heavy rock and was wondering if I could have blown this speaker due to voltage from my pedals rather than just sheer awesomeness ;)

I usually play an SVT classic > 810 with a couple distortion pedals. I've noticed when I kick in my pedals the two bias lights will jump into red even when I'm not playing and I also get some ground buzz with the higher gain...I use an 8 plug i-spot to power the pedals and also have a tuner in the line.

My question is should I be concerned that the pedals/i-spot are sending improper voltage to my amp/cab or is this even a possibility to cause a blown speaker...
    I'm not so bothered I blew the back up rig but I do wanna keep my SVT and 810 safe...I use the same effects pedals with either rig and am giggin' tonight.

I will be checking voltage from the pedals/i-spot as best I can and also see what happens when running batteries instead...

Thanks for any advice or opinions on this...

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The fact the bias lights turn red when not playing means you have a pedal sending out excessive noise. The lights turn from green to red when a signal is present.

The single 15" blew due to being overpowered, that is the only thing that blows a speaker. Just a case of not enough speakers for how loud you needed to be. ;)

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

+1 and I fully agree. Using effects can mask the signs of distress coming from your cabinet. You are familiar with using an 8x10 and the abilities it brings to the table. Trying to do the same with a single 15 is a no win situation.

4. doomloop

doomloop

Thanks!!! Yeah I usually play this 'back up' rig no problem to smaller gigs but you are correct...I have gotten so used to bringing our normal level of volume to the table I pushed waaaay hard...

Thanks for clearing my plate as far as effects and voltage go...

5. Register to disable this ad