1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Blew up one of the speakers in my GK MB 210 combo testerday....

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Up the dose, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Up the dose

Up the dose

One of my speakers in my GK MB210 combo blew out and the replacement speaker from GK runs about 140 dollars. The Eminence Delta10B speaker can handle more watts, has a bigger magnet and a larger voice coil. It also is a lot less money. About 80 dollars. Any reason I should not get the Delta? Is there any reason a cabinet with one GK speaker and one Eminence speaker would not work?

2. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Chances are it won't sound awful but not ideal...

The Delta is quite a bit heavier if that is a concern.

3. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Using non-matching speakers within the same cab space can actually cause damage to the speakers.

If you are going to swap out speakers, make sure you measure the cab and use a modeling program to ensure the speakers will perform properly in the cab.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Is the 10B comfortable running with a box that has that internal size? What do the specs and T/S for it say.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Double E

Explain this...

7. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

They are sharing the same "air space" in the cab, and if they are not working in synch with each other...............

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, it won't match - so, I highly recommend replacing the driver with correct matching identical G-K 10" driver.

9. Double E

Perhaps in a sealed cab, this might be an issue but a ported cab would alleviate that issue...it may not sound as good as it should though.

10. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

I'll continue listening and taking advice from the guys that build cabs for a living.......:rolleyes:

11. Double E

I am sorry but to start with, I have a problem believing that even matching speakers will always be moving in perfect sync with one another.

Also I have used mis-matched speakers in cabs in real life with no damage to the drivers to report...I just must be incredibly lucky.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

I'm not sure about damage, but I'd be thinking about other things...like whether the speakers cause any interference tonally with each other, are going to reinforce unwanted frequency ranges, etc. The speaker in question doesn't look like it minds a small volume box, but it also doesn't look like the speaker if you're looking for much below about ~100hz either.