1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

BLISTER PROBLEM - IS IT ME, OR THE STRINGS? ASSIST PLEASE?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Milstein, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein

Disclosures:
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    OK friends. I am sure there are other threads on this topic, but I am adding one...feel free to chime in.

I have a habitual problem with blisters (see the one pic attached). And this photo is after resting my fingers for 2 weeks and playing with medical tape and regular tape wrapped on them.

Even if i play through the blisters, the skin gets caught in the strings and makes it tough to play.

I can't use a pick. I love roundwound, but use light gauge strings for the most part. Buddies have recommended flat wounds, but not my thing.... will try Tapewounds next. I am NOT that hard of a plucker, but need to find something other than tons of tape...which falls off after a few songs anyway..plus tearing and interrupting...

Glue? New Skin?
    Other?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Joey

Attached Files:

2. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Joey-

I'd venture that the problem is not with your strings, it's in the fact that you playing much too hard, probably harder than you realize - either due to technique, onstage adrenaline or you are fighting to hear yourself in a band setting.

I'm not sure what kind of amplifier power you currently have on hand, but a suitably sized rig that does the hard work for you really lets you lighten up your touch while being heard just as easily. Might be worth having an instructor or knowledgeable player watch your playing to evaluate.

Lonnybass

3. kevteop

kevteop

Are you using nickel strings? Try steels?

When I was in that situation I used to pluck down by the bridge (resting my thumb on the rear pickup - in fact I always used basses with two pickups purely because I put my thumb back there), because plucking any further forward the string just bounced around and rattled too much. I used to break strings pretty routinely but I still never got blisters as bad as this guy. And I have soft hands.

4. meatwad

meatwad

I only get blisters like that if I stop playing for a few weeks, then go do a gig.. or maybe even a long rehearsal. And, I admit to playing harder than I should in live situations. :D

I feel your pain, but the only remedy I know of is callouses through regular playing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein

Disclosures:
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    I wouldn't deny any of this.... Perhaps....But still hoping there is a short term cure/fix to deal with it while i DO have the blisters...and to avoid the future...

7. zbasstringer

zbasstringer

I've played some round wounds that are "rougher" than others, if that makes sense. What brand are you using? My younger brother was having blister issues, so I put some coated DR's on his bass and that seemed to help him.

Also, I may be weird for doing this, but to help with the blister, pop it, drain it, soak it in warm salt water, drain it, soak in salt water again, then dry it out. Dry it out all the way by cutting a bit more of an opening in the blister. Then, using super glue, fill the blister with glue. This will allow you to play in about half an hour without the annoying sensitivity.

8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Try some Elixer strings. I have never gotten a blister from playing, but I have a really light touch. Also, maybe a ramp would help you.

lowsound

9. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein

Disclosures:
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    I use DRs and Rotosounds... nothing higher that 100s gauge E string...

Thanks for the tip...

10. zbasstringer

zbasstringer

I don't know if it will help, but what about going thicker?

11. terranova

terranova

earplugs may help also.

12. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Hey Joey,I feel your pain..I practice daily,rehearse once a week,and gig nearly every weekend..I shed fingertips like I'm gonna win a prize. I also prefer rounds and agree with zbasstringer that some are more abrasive than others. There's also body chemistry to consider..perhaps you have a sensitivity to the metals in your preferred strings? I'm a fingers only guy and I hate taping them because I lose my feel for both placement and striking force. I've tried super-glue,and it works but usually wears off by the end of the second set. I don't care for flats either and decided to try pressure wounds recently. I find them to be much easier on the fingers and fairly comparable to rounds in usable tones..pretty much just lacking the upper register 'zing' and piano-like sustain you find with true rounds.

13. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein

Disclosures:
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Sounds like we have similar situations! I am going to try to make a conscious effort to play a bit lighter, and will try a new set of tapewounds... For starters...

Thanks all!

14. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hey Joe-

Try boosting the volume setting on your amp while maintaining the same volume level - it will force you to play with greater control and a lighter touch. Also might help if you boost your mids around 500 hz - you'll probably be able to hear yourself better.

Lonnybass

15. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein

Disclosures:
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    I wish I were AMP savvy, but will give it a shot and ask my mates for guidance. Appreciate the input and great feedback!

Joey

16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I agree with lonny, good post.

As an interim solution, try GHS fast fret. It will eliminate alot of friction that contributes to the blisters.