Blown Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dudelydudeson, Feb 24, 2014.

1. dudelydudeson

dudelydudeson

Hey TB! I am looking for some input on an old Ampeg SVT-410 I have. I bought it second hand at least 6 years ago on the cheap when I was a teenager. Never really knew what kind of shape it was in; just brought it onstage and cranked it up! It never sounded blown to me (I've blown my fair share of speakers) but it has some defects.

3 of the cones look dented and there's a large crack along the top side (which I believe I filled in with wood glue).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It doesn't sound bad to me but it has been a long time since it was at stage/practice volumes. Is it a) fine b) needs a reasonable amount of work or c) I should just get a new one.

Much thanks. Peace.
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The dented dust caps don't matter. The crack seems to be held together. It sounds good. Play it louder. Still sounds good? Keep playing it.
  3. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

If the dust caps bug you, pull 'em out with a vacume cleaner.
  4. dudelydudeson

dudelydudeson

Ah so that is not part of the cone per say. [DEL] I now have the strong desire to temporarily take them off and see how the cones look....[/DEL]

Nvm. I get it now.

You're assuming I own a vacuum cleaner.... (seriously, I do though).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

im no expert, but this sounds reasonable.

The dust caps are just that..,, coverings to keep unwanted dust from the groove where the the voice-coil travels. If the the drivers are working, i wouldnt worry about the visual appearance of the dust caps.
  7. Major Softie

Major Softie

If it ain't broke....

Okay, the box was broke, but you fixed that.
  8. geoff chartier

geoff chartier

Also, if you absolutely HAVE to fix the dust caps with a vacuum (like I did once in high school), be really really careful. They can rip really easily. Yep, found that one out the hard way.

Worth it? Not at all.