Blue Brawley 5 string FS/FT OBO

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bassguyky48, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassguyky48

bassguyky48 Supporting Member

Asking $325 SHIPPED TO THE CONUS or trade toward a Lakland 4 string
    I could see doing $285 for a local sale and not paying shipping or paypal.
    I bought this several years ago.........it was a great bass unmodded, but I like to make changes which sometimes don't pay off when you go to resell, but here they are:
    35 inch scale, swamp ash body about 8 lbs, dunlop strap locks,
    Basslines active pickups, SD 3 band preamp bought new from Mainstore Music Nashville........prob less than 10 hours playtime, (switch is a dummy and only fills a space)
    This bass started life with a natural finish..........I stained it blue and and finished it with a hand rubbed poly finish--.......pretty good for an amateur......looks very close to some boutique builder's bass. Neck has been resized from a 2 inch width at the nut down to a 1 13/16's.....(not me this time......a local luthier did this.) I sanded it to a fairly flat profile (think Lakland DJ but flatter) and finished with 6 coats of tung oil..........smooth as silk.......I've done this before and am getting ready to do this again. This bass was refinished about 3 years ago and still looks exactly the same as the day it was finished.
    Oh yeah did I mention it has a custom bone nut installed by the same luthier who resized the neck.?

Bridge is high mass........spacing close to 18.5, but can be sized up or down with a different bridge. Width at the last fret is close to 3 inches. Tuners are excellent.

Attached Files:

2. bassguyky48

More pix:

Attached Files:

3. bassguyky48

Tues Bump! More Pix added!

Attached Files:

4. bassguyky48

Bone nut, 5 piece neck, 10 oz. bridge=HUGE SUSTAIN and MASSIVE B!!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sailorofcheese

sailorofcheese Supporting Member

Bump. these are awesome basses. The business that made these was short-lived, but they certainly pumped out some quality basses for the price.
  7. bassguyky48

Thanks sailorofcheese! Keith was one of the key guys at Fender before starting this adventure. I reshaped the neck to make it friendlier to smaller hands......down from 2 inches at the nut to about 1 13/16's, added the Seymour Duncan's, and this thing became awesome! The build quality is similar to Lakland and MTD, also made by these same Korean factories. The B string just as tight as my Lakland's.
  8. bassguyky48

Remember folks, Bone nut, 5 piece neck, and massive bridge give this bass a lot of punch and sustain than you wouldn't expect from a rosewood neck. It is not as bright as maple, but it has tons of clarity and brightness. The oil finish on the back makes it a dream to play. By refinishing the body from it's factory natural finish........I took off about an inch of clear coat.......which looked great, but it deadens the sound........stops vibrations. This is now a lively bass!
  9. fritzk9

fritzk9 Supporting Member

10. bassguyky48

If you live in the central Ky area............please feel free to come by, examine, play, inspect...........this blue baby. You are welcome to use this thread and share your findings----positive or negative!
  11. bassguyky48

Why buy a cheapo 5 at the local music store that has poor quality electronics, poor setup and heavy as lead when you can buy this for the same money? This bass fits in the mid quality level..........it won't compete with Sadowsky or Mike Lull, etc. It will compete very well with Ibanez, , even Lakland 5501, and Mtd import basses.
  12. 707hippie

707hippie Supporting Member

I have a Brawley 4 and 6 string bass these are deffinately great basses for the loot very "UNDER RATED" in my opinion
  13. bassguyky48

Thanks, they have quality that rivals MTD and Lakland for lots and lots less.....Keith Brawley was one of the main guys at Fender. He knew how to make a bass.
  14. bassguyky48

Mid week bump.........anyone got a nice warmoth neck for trade or vintage modified jazz types?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.