Blue Steel vrs Nickel Blue Steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Green Lantern, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

I have played the Blue Steel strings and I found they have more of even sound and not as bright as some other strings. They have a more mid quality sound to them so it seems they don't die as quickky as some other strings. They also have a different feel than regular strings as they are not as smooth to the touch.

I have never played their nickel blue steel and was wondering what difference they are in sound and feel.

Thanks

It seems most stores that even carry the nickel only carry the light gauge which are too light for me. My feeling after checking Sweetwater and other places is the nickel blue steel are not too popular. I think I will move on

2. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nickel will be more mellow than the steels. I have Roto nickels on my fretless. They were bright but have mellowed quite nicely.

3. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

I bought Blue SS and Nickel sets recently and found the SS to be exactly as you described. Mid focused that were not zingy and not a lot of bottom. I wanted to like them, but they were not what I was after tone wise. I love the nickles. They remind a little like DR Sunbeams. They are much softer and easier on your fingers than SS, but have simlar tension to SS. I like them more than Sunbeams since they are slighty stiffer. Tone wise they sound like a good nickel. Nice lows and low mids, but not a lot of top end sizzle. I'm still on the same nickle set and they're lasting a lomg time as well.

4. 999Brent

999Brent

The Nickel Blue Steels are my string of choice, they are completely different the the SS version.
    Like said above slightly more tension than Sunbeams, they take a little while to break in, but after a few days I love them and keep them on for 3-4 months, playing daily.

Hope this helps, I would say give em a go...

5. Register to disable this ad