1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Blue Steel's but similar?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stan_da_man, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

I've got a set of Dean Markley Blue Steel stainless strings (45-100) on my Status Energy atm and love them. I really like the gauge, tension and sound but they are a little rough for my liking. How does the nickel version compare? Ideally, I'm hoping someone will say exactly the same but smoother on the fingers. :D
  2. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

DR Hi-Beams. The same but nicer to your fingers and frets. Nickel will sound a bit warmer and not keep the stainless steel brightness as long. I used to be a Blue Steel guy then a friend turned me onto DRs. The outer wraps on DRs are smaller gauge i guess so they feel smoother. My fretless finger board has had Hi-Beams for 7 years with only minimal marking.
  3. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

I knew the DR suggestion was coming!
  4. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

They make great strings, IMHO their rounds are the best out there. I've never tried TI rounds, a lot of people praise TI rounds but they are spendy.
  5. FM Jump

FM Jump

Ive been trying both blue steels, and I like the nickel plates SS better. I haven't tried the DR's but Ive used 45's and 40's in Blue steel. The only difference that I can see is that the SS are noisier and rougher to the touch. After a day or two I can't hear any difference.
  6. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses Supporting Member

7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    I like the Blue Steels but they are the only string a break every time I try them.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Nickel Blue Steels will be smoother than regular Blue Steels, but they sound nothing alike. The nickels are very dark sounding with no bite.

If you want a smoother Steel string, try Elixir Steels. I'm a die hard DR fan, but Elixirs are waay more slippery if that's what you want. HiBeams/FatBeams/DragonSkins are smoother than Blue Steels, but not slippery like Elixir.

Get any of these at www.bassstringsonline.com and don't forget he gives a TB user discount!
  9. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

The Nickel Blue Steels are my string of choice. Not as bright and smoother feeling Than the steels but feel like they are from the same family. I have used many DR strings. I like Sunbeams and really like Nickel LoRiders but IMO the Nickel plated Blue steels are as good, feel better to me and are less expensive. They are on par to the DR's but less expensive.

I order the custom lights from Bassstringsonline. Order a set and give them a try. I guarantee you wont hate them. I would say its worth a try.
  10. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

How does the tension of the Dean Markley Helix SS compare to the Blue Steel SS?

And the DR Hi Beams for that matter too.
  11. Wito

Wito

I have never tried the Helix SS, but I remember Blue Steels having more tension than Hi-Beams. HI-Beams are ultra-flexible!
  12. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Ah, cheers for that. I have the 45-100 set on my bass atm and I don't think I would be happy if the tension dropped even further.
  13. Toptube

Toptube

the tension/flexibility should be similar. i feel that they are. Dean Markley makes nearly all of their strings with a lower core to wrap ratio than most other big names, like Daddario, Rotosound, etc. This makes them more flexible. They aren't as flexible as DRs, however. but if you like the flexibility/tension of blue steels, the helix strings should be a good fit.

Straight out of the box, helix strings aren't super smooth, but I wouldn't say they are particularly rough, either. For a Stainless string, they are moderately rough. Play them a bit and they smooth right out. they also sound really full and deep. But in a "natural" way with the tone.