Bluegrass jam

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Me and my some coworkers are planning a bluegrass jam.

Company lawyer on banjo.

His wife on the guitar, maybe mandolin.

Me on bass.

One of our IT guys on the fiddle.

We're all born and bred New Yorkers with no bluegrass experience but it was discovered today that the lawyer played the banjo when he was a kid in the 70's, so what the hell.

I'm pretty psyched.
  2. jake3

jake3 Guest

Have fun. Mandolin is my second instrument and I was part of a bluegrass jam in Brooklyn for a while, but it seems to have faded out. Which is fine - I have enough on my hands with my regular bands. But a bluegrass jam can be good times. Get yourself an upright - there's a bluegrass forum over on the DB side of TB.
  3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I told the lawyer that the company should buy me an upright, but my Hofner and little practice amp is probably gonna have to do for now. I told him it's a team building exercise and the purchase of an upright bass is perfectly justified. We'll see.
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Loves me some blue and 'new' grass. In small doses. Get a small kick drum and learn to stomp it while you play. bluegrass, you lead the band from down low. No substitue for knowing the changes and having impeccable rhythm. It's not as easy as it looks taking root - five and being artful with it...

Check out some Peter Rowan live with Victor Krauss. That would be the advanced class :)

Your hofner will do just fine. The UrB get's you instant cred with the 'grass crowd. You'll just have to earn it with the Hofner...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

You mean earn it like this??

No worries mate, I play all manner of "grass" with my J bass.

What's really funny is the staggering number of upright players I see who amp their bass and come out sounding just like an electric with the tone rolled all the way to the bass side. If you turned your back you would think they were playing a p bass. Strictly from a logistical POV it would seem more prudent to just bring a P instead of an upright, but then it wouldn't have the same visual appeal, and the purists would poo-poo the hell out of it anyway. They'll take the P sound, but for some silly reason they go all apoplectic over a "bluegrass" band with a solidbody electric bass.