1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Blues Bass Players Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by blues_bassist, Apr 20, 2009.

1. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

I play Blues music and was thinking that it would be cool to talk to other Blues bassists.

I personally play all types of Blues, from Robert Johnson to B.B. King to Buddy Guy to Stevie Ray Vaughn.

If anyone has any tips or anything else that they want to share about Blues music, this is the place.

(If there is another thread like this one, I apologize!)

#1 blues_bassist
    #2 62Jazzbass
    #3 JohnFrancis
    #4 nickn
    #5 Dogbone
    #6 specter6A
    #7 Sleeq
    #8 derrenleepoole
    #9 mongo2
    #10 Freelancer
    #11 Santraginus
    #12 billoetjen
    #13 Stumbo
    #14 deepbluesuk
    #15 awall
    #16 Fenderjazz6823
    #17 bassflyer19
    #18 mlafrancis
    #19 reno88
    #20 lonote
    #21 main_sale
    #22 jbassbob
    #23 tlr1293
    #24 Saliboat339
    #25 dlb1001
    #26 smakbass
    #27 watspan
    #28 scottbass
    #29 thumpbass1
    #30 woodsideh
    #31 R Upsumgrub
    #32 EBodious
    #33 lug
    #34 bassist4dalord
    #35 babaseen
    #36 Walter Ego
    #37 gmanbass
    #38 ffeJ83
    #39 Honk'n down-low
    #40 dronnba
    #41 Kenny Allyn
    #42 Fajah
    #43 topcat
    #44 mightypog
    #45 mike phillips
    #46 seanm
    #47 bhubb3rd
    #48 butchblack
    #49 RobJ
    #50 Slim Louis
    #51 Crunktacular
    #52 willyrep
    #53 doktorfeelgood
    #54 CaptainWampum
    #55 Yamahammer
    #56 mdsmith
    #57 John Wentzien
    #58 mightypog
    #59 NickBass81
    #60 Li Youwei
    #61 phatbass
    #62 Stevens1212
    #63 BigBeatNut
    #64 5StringBlues
    #65 grooveway
    #69 Quarternote
    #77 Bobbo 77"
    #99 jhay
    #135 nortonrider
    #145 Easy8
    #420 GlennW

2. billoetjen

billoetjen

What the heck, give me #12.

Doesn't everything always come back to the blues?

Oh, and, flats all the way.

3. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Good point. All of the greats from the 60's (Clapton, Hendrix, ect.) were all influenced by the blues.

4. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nortonrider

nortonrider

7. JohnFrancis

JohnFrancis

OK, I'm in..... I've been down ever sice I was ten.

8. Specter6A

Specter6A

Count me in. The blues is all I play.

Do you get extra points for sporting a cheesy pork pie hat?

[​IMG]

9. DogBone

DogBone

Yeah the Blues baby....:bassist:

Right now I'm just getting started in a new band playing in a style something like Delbert McClinton meets Jason Ricci, and we call ourselves "Stone Blues". Hope to get our setlist polished soon so we can be out having a good time this summer in the Harrisonburg/Charlottesville area.

Also props to 62Jazzbass and his band. You guys sound tight and are just up the road from me. ;)

[​IMG]

10. nickn

nickn

Me me me! I wanna be number IV!

11. Sleeq

Sleeq Supporting Member

Count me in!!

Mojolators Blues Band.

P-Bass... and flats!

Pic:

[​IMG]

12. derrenleepoole

derrenleepoole

Yeah man, count me in too! Just started a blues band and gigging this Thursday with the completed line-up for the first time. We did an impromptu jam in December which has led to this band forming. It's a bit unusual in that our drummer plays an e-kit rather than acoustic, so should raise some eyebrows. Me, I got the p-bass down and I'm loving the tone, versatility and bite that's just perfect for blues. Still don't really have a name yet for the group though, the working band name is 'Blackun Blues Band.'

13. mongo2

mongo2

Count me in.

I've always played blues but my most interesting blues gig has been over the last 12 years with a steel guitar player/singer as a duo, sometimes trio with a minimal drumkit (share/hi-hat), or a quartet adding a mandolin or harp player doing "back porch" style blues/jazz reaching back to the '20s and '30s.

14. Freelancer

Freelancer

Just started up again not too long ago. Didn't get very far in my younger attention span deficiency days and basically had to start from square one. While my personal favorite music styles to listen and one day play is metal (preferably progressive,) I also love the good old blues tones from B.B. King and Clapton. I also know that most of the contemporary styles including metal and rock have many roots in the tones and techniques developed in blues. Coming from my long hiatus, I immediately dove right into blues to develop important fundamentals. Another friend of mine who just kinda jumped in and went straight to metal is having it much rougher. After just a month of progress, he may be able to play faster, but I have much greater technique, timing, and stronger fundamentals than he does. I'm in no way good or even passable as mediocre yet but blues I feel is an integral style full of fundamentals that can really smooth over transitions to other genres.

I remember thinking that I wouldn't understand roots and 5ths from the way my guitar friend was trying to explain to me. Then Stumbo showed me studybass.com and I /facepalmed myself when I realized that the 3 different versions of the 12 bars blues were all using roots and 5ths, octaves and other fundamentals I thought I'd never be able to get or play. Yet, here I was cranking away on them and not even realizing it. Talking with my stepfather(drummer,) uncles(guitar/bass,)and even my own mother(pianist,) have all told me that blues was what they used to learn and build off of for the soft rock that they jam to now.

After spending this time learning some basics, I'm even more in love with blues than before. I personally chose bass because I love the groove of a bass, and blues does it for me. I still aspire to build up my chops for metal eventually but I will never set down the blues. It has been, thus far, an awesome learning experience and surprisingly easy to learn the basics off of and build a solid foundation. Currently play an MIJ Fender Jazz with some Elixers on em. I know, not the traditional blues sound but, I personally find it appealing without being too out of the park in tone.

Sorry for the long post and all, but this being my first big foray into musicianship beyond classical and all. No matter what other genres/styles I play, I will always play the blues. For me personally, nothing grooves quite like the blues. Thanks for reading :)

Rock On!:bassist:
    -Chris

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  15. Santraginus

Santraginus

16. deepbluesuk

deepbluesuk

Im in. Playing blues here in London.

17. awall

awall

I play in a blues trio. Just getting it off the ground and hope to play quite a bit this summer. We're in PEI on Canada's east coast if any is around these parts, keep an eye out for the Jack of Diamonds Blues Band. We play mostly Chicago style and some funkly R&B.
    Al

18. Fenderjazz6823

Fenderjazz6823

Right here

I have been trying to start new band here in to northeast
    Blues is where it's at

19. bassflyer19

bassflyer19

Count me in. I love blues. I look to guys like "Duck" Dunn that are a great inspiration.

20. mlafrancis

mlafrancis

count me too. I play in a Hard Rock band, but its fun playing blues lines, so we have a few blues songs. I've always loved the blues sense iw as little

21. reno88

reno88 Supporting Member

count me in, too. i play hard rock and punk, but rely on my blues fundamentals every time i play. the blues is what unites us all.